Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: I got my tonsils removed but my throat is swelling

lizliz - Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:29 am

I'm 19 years old and I had my tonsils removed in July of this year. I didn't have any complications or problems with my throat again utill today. I noticed yesterday that my tonsils were swelling. A friend told me that it was most likely my lymph nods. So I guess my questions would be is this likely? I had a lot of problems with my tonsils and I thought I had rid my self of the problem. What shoud I do?? Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:57 pm

It is difficult to tell without direct clinical examination if this is really a tonsil swelling or you just have a pharyngitis and sore throat.

Tonsils:
- Tonsils are located on each side of the back of the throat, directly behind and above the base of the tongue.

Recurrent tonsillitis after tonsillectomy is extremely rare and is usually due to regrowth of tonsillar tissue.

A possibilty of tonsil remnants is to be considered and it is a known problem in some patients who underwent tonsillectomy.

Pharyngitis:
- Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e. g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent.

Lymph nodes on the other hand are swellings that have certain anatomical and clinical characteristics that do not fully meet with your description.

I advise you to follow with your Doctor. Direct clinical examination is eseential.

|