Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Worried about Lymphoma

fin1980 - Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:18 pm

I am 26 year old male and concerned about lymphoma. I have been having night sweats on/off for over a year, and I am always urinating. The urinating is really annoying and I feel like I am going all the time and I went to urologist and my prostate came back normal. I am currently taking Paxil 20mg for depression, and Toporl XL 50mg for Mitral Valve Prolapse When I wake up I have an anxiety feeling and a little lightheaded. My GP said the night sweats are most likely from the Paxil. So I didn't worry much until recently I had sore throat and noticed I have a small lymph node by neck and left clavicle. It's moveable, and feels like it's on a muscle. I can't stop worrying about it, and my GP & ENT doctor said it's too small and not to worry about it. I had a chest x-ray, cbc, which came back normal. I also had an upper GI since I was having issues, probably from worrying so much. I also get a swollen feeling on the left side of throat which may be due to TMJ. Any insight would help I can't enjoy daily life due to I worry every minute and my doctors probably think I am have issues.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:11 pm

User avatar Sweating is a known side effect of Paxil. It is possible that this is the cause. If you've had other symptoms, such as fever, weight loss, etc. there may be other causes. With all the tests that you have had coming back normal, it is quite possible that the paxil is the cause. You may discuss with your doctor about changing to a different type of antidepressant without this side effect if it's bothersome.

Regarding your lymph nodes. The lymph nodes of the neck and clavicle area drain the throat and head. So an infection causing a sore throat is very likely to cause enlarged lymph nodes. It can take a few weeks for them to reduce in size. If they become painful they may have an infection in them, so you should be evaluated by a doctor.

I would give the lymph nodes a little bit to get better, but if they're not, or if you are concerned you should follow up with your doctor.

Hope this helps.
 fin1980 - Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, and appreciate the info. The sore throat thing went away, but was more swollen than sore feeling. I have been checking the size of the node on a reg basis, and is still the same size but also still there. Is there a chance that it will always just be there. I don't know how long its been there, and never really felt that area much.

Erik
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:00 pm

User avatar Occasionally, once a lymph node has swollen it never really gets back to normal size. It can stay about one half to one centimeter in size. It should feel rubbery and be relatively mobile. It should not hurt when pressed. If any of these do not apply you should follow up with your doctor to ensure that there is nothing abnormal going on.

In some instances where there is suspicion a biospy can be done. Biopsies of lymph nodes are generally relatively harmless, but can have some unpleasant side effects, so talking with your doctor about the need for biopsy is important.
 fin1980 - Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 pm

Thanks again I appricieate everything I have a problem with worrying about everything.
When feeling the lymph node it kind of feels like a small peanut shell with two little bumps. Is that a normal? Also I don't know if this is linked at all but My shoulder & neck muscles are sore on the same side where I noticed the lymphnode. I did knock my shoulder out of socket and has been sore ever since. Would the lymph issue have anything to do with that?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:15 pm

User avatar The lymph node you describe is probably normal, but with the limitations of the internet I would suggest having it evaluated by your doctor.

The muscles may or may not be connected. It is possible to get a viral infection of the muscle, but it would be unusual to get such a focal inflammation. I suspect the two are unrelated.
 dixieagle - Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:47 am

fin1980 wrote:Thanks again I appricieate everything I have a problem with worrying about everything.

Erik,

I just want to say that I empathize; I used to be exactly like you and every tiny lymph node spelled doom to me. I have noticed that, as I have gotten older, and my children are pretty self-sufficient, I have calmed down considerably and am better able to put things in perspective. It sounds as if you have done everything you should and your doctor doesn't seem worried, so it's time to relax. A doctor friend told me something she was taught in med school: "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." In other words, MOST of the time, the most common reason is actually the cause of your symptoms, e.g., lymoh node = current or past infection. By all means, know what's going on with your body, but don't stress so much that you cause other problems!

Peace,
Marie
 fin1980 - Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:29 pm

Hello

I went and had a CT Scan of the neck and chest and everything came back good. But my doctor did tell me that he wanted to do a CT Scan again in 3 months due to that I still had Thematic tissue in my chest and that you usually have that when your children and it goes away when your an adult. They didn't find and abnormal growths or anything, but should I be worried about this thematic tissue. Could their be anything hidding behind the tissue, and why would he want to run another ct scan if it's nothing. Any help would be great.

Erik
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:04 pm

User avatar I think your CT scan probably saw Thymic tissue. The thymus is a structure that is the center for lymphocyte (white blood cell type) formation in children. As people age, it tends to shrink down.

I do not know of the standard age at which it is no longer visible. The scan in 3 months is likely to make sure that nothing is changing. Rarely, the thymus can give rise to tumors. Checking again will help ensure this is not happening. Again, this is very unlikely. This is most likely an incidental finding.

fin1980 - Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:14 pm

I first want to appoligze for not using my orginal thread, I forgot we have to do that, and it won't happen again.

I have had small lymphnode by left supraclavicle area for about a year and my doctor said it was small and nothing to worry about he have me a ctscan and chest xray for peace of mind came back good. Now a year later the last couple of weeks both of my armpits are sore by the rib aread and when I press on the sore area on the left armpit I can feel a small lymphnode it's hard to tell if its soft or hard but mobile. My shoulder blade area is sore to but don't know if it's related. I also have a small movable lymphnode on my right neck the same side my tmj is reall bad on not sure if its related. I am scared that this the start of lymphomia. Everytime I go to the doctor he tells me it's not and I was good untill this armpit thing recently. I am seeking help to overcome my fears of developing cancer it's always on my mind, and you guys are awesome with support. Sorry for the long post.

|