News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Concerned About Lymph Nodes

afoley7993 - Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi, I am a 27 year old female. I noticed some swollen lymph nodes in my neck about a year ago. They are small, about the size of a pea or smaller. They don't move around too much, and are firm, but not rock hard. Although I do have one tiny bump the size of tiny pebble that is hard. I only have one large one ( a little over a centimeter) on the right side of my neck near my jaw. I believe that I have had that one for years (at least 5), because I just remember that side of my neck being larger than the other.
I also have several small (pea size or a bit larger) lumps that move around behind both my knees, and a few "shotty" nodes in my groin.
Anyway...I have seen several Doctors, including a Hematologist (although she only examined my neck) who do not seem concerned about the nodes. I have also had numerous CBCs done. I do not have any other symptoms, other than tinea versicolor from time to time, and gallstones.
My Doctors seem to not be concerned, because they are so small and my blood work keeps coming up normal, and I don't want to annoy them with my persistent fears. I was just wondering if I should be concerned and seek out new Doctors or if I should just accept that I may be able to feel those nodes forever. Is it possible that some people can simply feel their lymph nodes? I'd appreciate any advice!
Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 pm

User avatar It is not uncommon for people to have lymph nodes that can be felt. Often, they will swell with an infection, then reduce in size again. Occasionally they may not return to their previous size, but remain a bit larger.

The reassuring thing is that your lymph nodes have not changed over several years. This would be very uncommon for a lymphoma. With normal CBC's, more reassurance is possible.

The areas you describe are very common sites for lymph nodes. Most generally, they are noticed in the neck area, but the back of the knee and groin are also common areas.

I would suggest that you continue to monitor your lymph nodes for changes on a regular (but not daily) basis. Doing a once a month exam will help you notice if any nodes are changing. Keep in mind that with infections lymph nodes swell. Also, regular routine follow up with your doctor is important.

And as always, if you are concerned about anything that may be changing or alarming to you, you should see your doctor.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here