Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Concerned About Lymph Nodes

afoley7993 - Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi, I am a 27 year old female. I noticed some swollen lymph nodes in my neck about a year ago. They are small, about the size of a pea or smaller. They don't move around too much, and are firm, but not rock hard. Although I do have one tiny bump the size of tiny pebble that is hard. I only have one large one ( a little over a centimeter) on the right side of my neck near my jaw. I believe that I have had that one for years (at least 5), because I just remember that side of my neck being larger than the other.
I also have several small (pea size or a bit larger) lumps that move around behind both my knees, and a few "shotty" nodes in my groin.
Anyway...I have seen several Doctors, including a Hematologist (although she only examined my neck) who do not seem concerned about the nodes. I have also had numerous CBCs done. I do not have any other symptoms, other than tinea versicolor from time to time, and gallstones.
My Doctors seem to not be concerned, because they are so small and my blood work keeps coming up normal, and I don't want to annoy them with my persistent fears. I was just wondering if I should be concerned and seek out new Doctors or if I should just accept that I may be able to feel those nodes forever. Is it possible that some people can simply feel their lymph nodes? I'd appreciate any advice!
Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 pm

User avatar It is not uncommon for people to have lymph nodes that can be felt. Often, they will swell with an infection, then reduce in size again. Occasionally they may not return to their previous size, but remain a bit larger.

The reassuring thing is that your lymph nodes have not changed over several years. This would be very uncommon for a lymphoma. With normal CBC's, more reassurance is possible.

The areas you describe are very common sites for lymph nodes. Most generally, they are noticed in the neck area, but the back of the knee and groin are also common areas.

I would suggest that you continue to monitor your lymph nodes for changes on a regular (but not daily) basis. Doing a once a month exam will help you notice if any nodes are changing. Keep in mind that with infections lymph nodes swell. Also, regular routine follow up with your doctor is important.

And as always, if you are concerned about anything that may be changing or alarming to you, you should see your doctor.

Hope this helps.

|