Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: lump in front of ear

legallyjill - Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:05 pm

I am a 26 year old female with no history of gland problems or cancer. I have a painful lump in front of my right ear, about the size of a pencil erase. It is above my jawbone and pretty much lines up with my cheekbone. It is giving me horrible headaches. Should I be worried?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:07 pm

The preauricular lymph nodes are located in front of the ears. They drain the eyelids and conjunctivae, temporal region, pinna. Common causes of enlargement include diseases of the external auditory canal.

From your description I don't think its dangerous.

Its always best to consult your doctor. I am not in a position to tell you whether you have a dangerous condition or not. However if you are unable to reach your doctor immediately then you can observe it for a week if it increases in size during this week or some new symptom arises please inform your doctor.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:11 pm

User avatar Lumps in this area have afew possibilities. It may be a lymph node, which can become somewhat painful when enlarged. It may also be a stone or other blockage in the parotid gland, one of the salivary glands.

That area has the disadvantage in that everytime you talk, chew, etc. you move it. So any node, etc. that is swollen will be continually moved.

I'd recommend having the lump evaluated by your doctor since there may be some treatment that can help it resolve faster.

Hope this helps.
 lizacrunch - Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:29 am

HI I am a 26 year old female. I have similar questions....I have a bump on my right side of my head, it is right next to my ear(tragus) and jaw/cheek ....about the size of a pencil eraser and is movable and not hard. I first felt pain about 1 and 1/2 months ago due to sleeping on my right side, the pressure of laying my head on that side would cause pain when I would wake up. that would last for a couple of hours. So I think this bump might have been there before much longer than when I noticed it. I have taken Ibuprofen to stop the pain. I went to the doctor and they said it was a swollen lymph node, they checked my ears and I have no ear infection. They didnt give me any antibiotics. I have allergies and have dealt with them my whole life so I am thinking this could be part of it? The bump has not gotten bigger or smaller. I have trained myself not to sleep on my right side but it is very annoying still. I do not have health insurance. I go to a free clinic. This makes me worry even more. I have been searching the internet for info. I don't have fever or night sweats and as long as I don't mess with the bump or sleep on it, it doesn't hurt. I have another appointment march 30th. They said if it does not go away I should get a biopsy. I have looked up Lymphoma and the one symptom I have is the itching besides the bump. Should I ask for a complete blood count? Should I ask for a CT Scan? What about LDH levels?
I just want this bump to go away. Should I ask for a throat culture to see if its mono? Again I have no fever and don't feel under the weather. I have been taking a lot of vitamin d trying to boost my immune system. I eat healthy. I don't know what to do besides try not to worry. Please someone respond. I will update after the next appointment. I really don't want it to be cancer.

|