Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Swollen painful lump in underarm

paula717 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:25 am

I am a 25 year old female. About 2 years ago I noticed a painful swelling in my left underarm. I went to my gyn and she said it is probably just a swollen gland, and if it kept reoccuring to come back. It returned on and off. About 6 months ago, it returned and has remained. I returned to the same doctor, and she ordered an ultrasound. The results from the ultrasound were inconclusive. She said she does not think it is breast cancer because it has gone on so long, and a mamogram isn't neccesary. There is clearly a lump there, and it is very tender and painful. What could this be, and what is my best course of action? I have no family history of breast cancer, do not currently take any medicines, and am overall healthy except for HPV - which has not caused any problems since I was diagnosed and treated for cervical dysplacia three years ago. Thank you for your help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:14 pm

How large is this lymph node? Has it increased in size? How long has it been tender?

paula717 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Hello - thank you for the reply. It is about the size of a half dollar, and it has increased in size over the past couple of months. It has been tender the whole time, though in the past week or so it has become very painful. It has gotten to the point where it is incomfortable when my arm is just resting at my side.

Thank you again for your help

|