News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Swollen painful lump in underarm

paula717 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:25 am

I am a 25 year old female. About 2 years ago I noticed a painful swelling in my left underarm. I went to my gyn and she said it is probably just a swollen gland, and if it kept reoccuring to come back. It returned on and off. About 6 months ago, it returned and has remained. I returned to the same doctor, and she ordered an ultrasound. The results from the ultrasound were inconclusive. She said she does not think it is breast cancer because it has gone on so long, and a mamogram isn't neccesary. There is clearly a lump there, and it is very tender and painful. What could this be, and what is my best course of action? I have no family history of breast cancer, do not currently take any medicines, and am overall healthy except for HPV - which has not caused any problems since I was diagnosed and treated for cervical dysplacia three years ago. Thank you for your help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:14 pm

User avatar Hello,

How large is this lymph node? Has it increased in size? How long has it been tender?

Best regards,
 paula717 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Hello - thank you for the reply. It is about the size of a half dollar, and it has increased in size over the past couple of months. It has been tender the whole time, though in the past week or so it has become very painful. It has gotten to the point where it is incomfortable when my arm is just resting at my side.

Thank you again for your help

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here