Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: HPV and Tongue Cancer

HSW1406 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:53 pm

I am a 23 year old female. In the past few months I have had migrating red lesions (sometimes with white borders) on the top and bottom of my tongue. My dentist has said it is geographic tongue. But I did not think you could get that underneath the tongue.

One area in particular underneath will form and then go back to normal and then form there again. Although it does move around as well. I am concerned because I have read a lot about HPV being linked with oral cancer. If a lesion heals and then forms again, can that be cancerous? Or does it have to be there consistently.

Any advice would be really helpful as I have become extremely anxious about the situation. Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:10 am

Cancerous lesions will not heal by themselves. They would not only remain there consistently they tend to progress, some lesions faster than others.

I would be unable to help you diagnose your lesions though. You need to be examined - if the problem is persistant then a second opinion would be a good idea.

Best regards and good luck.
 HSW1406 - Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:39 pm

I am just feeling rather uneasy about this situation because I found two hard lumps in my neck (one on either side of my throat) they aren't that big but as you can imagine I was scared to notice them. I have been to see two doctors...one said that it was a cervical rib, the other said he thought i was feeling my thyroid cartilage. I cannot imagine that thyroid cartilage would be that hard. Should I go back to the doctor and pursue it further? I am feel very uneasy.

|