Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph in neck 1 yr and it's now growing

traymond68 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Hello, I'm 38, female, and have had a swollen lymph in my neck (left side of neck, just below jawline - kinda where your carotid artery is located) for 1 yr now. In the last 2 months it seems to have doubled in size. It's now approx 5cmx5cm (2x2 inches). I went to an ENT approx 6 mos ago when the lump was rather small 1x1 inches. He scheduled me to have it aspirated and the patholigist said it was just bacteria buildup and would probably never go away. I was fine with that answer until it started growing. It's now very hard and doesn't move around as easily as it used to. I was able to shift it around and now I cannot do that. I have scheduled a follow up appt with my ENT but he can't see me until Jan 8, 2006. Was hoping you could put my mind at ease so that I can enjoy my Holidays!! Thanks, Tobi
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:39 pm

User avatar Tobi,

I am glad you are going to check with your physician. I believe whenever in doubt you are best to get it checked as quickly as possible. Did you call your ENT to tell him about the new changes?

If you haven't then you should do so as soon as possible. Keep me updated.
 traymond68 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:24 pm

thank you for replying so quickly Doc! When I called yesterday, I wasn't able to speak to my ENT, I could only make another appt. I'll see him on the 8th of January.

Do you have any suggestions on questions I should ask him?

I was just going to tell him I wanted a second opinion since the first pathologist found nothing. I can't imagine that simple bacteria would grow like this. I look like I have a ping pong ball stuck in the side of my neck.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 am

User avatar I really don't think you should wait till the 8th if you have a swelling that large in your neck. Please try calling his office again and insist on talking to him.
 traymond68 - Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:21 pm

Thank you Dr. Fouad. I've called and left a message with his nurse. Hopefully I'll hear back from him today since now I'm officially worried!

Again, thank you for your quick replies. It is very much appreciated.
 traymond68 - Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi, I wanted to get back to you to share the results of my MRI & CT Scan... I'm told I have a Type II Branchial Cyst and have to have it surgically removed. Apparently I've had this my whole life and it's just now decided to grow.
I found a website that shows a picture of exactly what my lump looks like. Thought maybe it may also help some of you.... who knows. http://www.ghorayeb.com/BranchialCleft.html

Thanks again to Dr. Fourad for responding to my query. I don't have cancer.... yaaaay!!!!

|