News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Cervical or Suboccipital Lump? Related to dry/itchy scalp?

concernedpatient77 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:16 pm

Hello,

I have recently been reading some of these threads and I thought I would post. I am a 29 year old male, in generally good health.

In the last 2 months or so, I have experienced dry/itchy/flaky scalp with dandruff, along with raised bumps or calluses that could be pimples or swollen follicles. Along with this, my hair has been thinning locally around the top of my head. To this point in my life I have had excessively thick hair, and that remains the case in all but this one spot. I talked to my doctor about the itching and dryness, and he recommended just using anti-dandruff shampoos.

Just 2 days ago, I found a round lump approximately 1 inch in diameter, about halfway up the back of my skull, just above where the neck meets the head. It is on the right side of the back of my head and just above ear height. It is painful to the touch/tender.

I have read about Cervical and Suboccipital lymph node problems, but am not sure which this is. Given the difference in severity I imagine it's an important distinction. I am also not sure if the dry scalp/thinning hair/pimples or infected follicles are related or not, either.

Can you please provide some insight on 1) which this is, most likely and 2) if the scalp issues and hair thinning are/could be related in any way?

I have no history that is related, and am not on any medications. I just take B-vitamins and some minerals.

Thanks so much for your time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:08 pm

User avatar Hello,

The swelling you have described that is felt on the right upper side of the neck is probably enlarged Lymph nodes as it occurs in a Lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician.

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement commonly results from infection / immune response, cancer.

Following infection Lymph nodes become enlarged,painful and tender.

Since you have a history of scalp infected lesions, the probability that the lymph node you have noticed is reactionary to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group is very high.

After treatment of infection with adequate course of antibiotics, they regress in size but never to normal size. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring.

Direct clinical examination is essential to exclude other causes like abscess.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 concernedpatient77 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:22 pm

Thank you doctor. I have an appointment scheduled for Friday.

Have a great holiday.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here