Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Breast lump a rib bone?????

Amanda - Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:35 pm

Im a 25 year old female. Past surgeries include 3 c-sections, gallblader removal, and cervical conization to remove pre-cancerous cells.
I recently found a lump on my right breast, more toward the middle of my chest or on my sternum area. I didn't think anything of it and I just thought it was a bone. I lost 70lbs about a year ago and just thought maybe it was a bone I just couldnt feel because of the weight. Well over the past two months the lump seem to get bigger so i went and had it checked out. While at my gyno's office he decided he wanted to poke me with a needle to see if he could asparate fluid from this lump....well he couldn't. So yesterday I had an ultra sound done. The ultrasound tech. said that she isn't an official person to give a diagnoses but she didn't see a mass over this area. She said that the area is right over my rib but the tissue over it is clear. She asked if I had any trauma to the area, and I explained that a year and a half ago....i jumped off of a cliff and landed in the water wrong and bruised my whole left side of my body. She said that it was probably due to that.
My question is how come it is getting bigger. This lump is hard, painless and can only be felt on the right side. It doesnt move at all and if I stand facing you it is quite noticable.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 am

What does your doctor have to say? The ultrasound would be able to determine with some degree of accuracy if there was a mass there or not. I cannot comment on why it has grown in size because this has to be a documented increase first.

What you should do is bring the size issue to your doctor's attention so that he can take accurate measurements of it and follow up with him. If it does increase in size then further investigations maybe warranted.

Good luck!
 Amanda - Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:09 pm

The doctor called today and said it was non cancerous. If in ten days the lump is still there come in and they will refer me to a surgeon. She said more than likely they will do a lumpectomy. I don't forsee it going away since it has been there for two months.

|