"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Mobile lump under my chin

glas2744 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:38 pm

Hi I'm a 28 yr male, perfectly healthy and I've noticed a smaller than pea size lump under my chin. It is mobile; it is not soar or anything like that. Do you have any idea what it is. It has been there for about a week.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:04 am

The submental lymph node is located just below the chin. It drains the lower lip, floor of mouth, teeth, submental salivary gland, tip of tongue, skin of cheek. Common causes of enlargement include mononucleosis syndromes, Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, dental pathology such as periodontitis. Sometimes when the submental salivary gland becomes inflammed and swollen it can be confusion with this condition.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that epitrochlear nodes larger than 0.5 cm or inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal.

Abnormal lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer and less commonly due to infiltration of macrophages filled with metabolite deposits (eg, storage disorders).

Infected Lymph nodes tend to be firm, tender, enlarged and warm. Inflammation can spread to the overlying skin, causing it to appear reddened.

Lymph nodes harboring malignant disease tend to be firm, non-tender, matted (ie, stuck to each other), fixed (ie, not freely mobile but rather stuck down to underlying tissue), and increase in size over time.

You should have a doctor look at it as soon as you can.