Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 2 lumps and flu like symptoms

pumpkin - Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:48 pm

Hello, Im 32 yr old female and have been sick for about 2 yrs. I have on and off flu like symptoms. Symptoms are feeling feverish(no fever) nausea, dizzy, and feel as though I may pass out. This is VERY on and off. One minute Im fine the next I feel terrible and then it will go away. I have been awaken in the middle of the night for the past month because I am extremly burning hot. I have no sweat however. I have found a rubbery pea sized immovable lump. It is located directly in the middle behind my left ear. It does not hurt and has been there for about 1 1/2yrs. I also have a hard lump that popped up also about a yr ago. This one is hard like a rock and does not hurt. It is located on the inside of my gums where my tongue sits on the left side. I have had changes in my bowel habits including mud like stool for about 2 yrs. I have been told it is Ibs but do not feel this is what is causing all my problems. Should I seek out a biopsy on these lumps. It is ruining my life and I don't know what I should do. Thank you for any help!
 pumpkin - Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:51 pm

I forgot to mention the Dr. says that she has no clue what it is and doesnt look like a cyst but to let her no if anymore pop up or if it gets bigger that was about a yr ago
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:00 pm

User avatar Hi Pumpkin,

Abnormal lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer and less commonly due to infiltration of macrophages filled with metabolite deposits (eg, storage disorders).

Infected Lymph nodes tend to be firm, tender, enlarged and warm. Inflammation can spread to the overlying skin, causing it to appear reddened.

Lymph nodes harboring malignant disease tend to be firm, non-tender, matted (ie, stuck to each other), fixed (ie, not freely mobile but rather stuck down to underlying tissue), and increase in size over time.

Sometimes, following infection lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter; however, some authors suggest that epitrochlear nodes larger than 0.5 cm or inguinal nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal.

If you have noticed any new symptoms or increase in size then you should consult your doctor right away. I hope this has made you feel better somehow.

|