Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Enlarged Matted Right Supraclavicular Node w/thyroid lesion

asullivan07 - Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:26 am

I am a 42 year female only meds are mucinex and zyertec.

3weeks ago the Family Practice physician found an neck mass when I went in for a ear infection. I was also having papitations, hair loss, fatigue. EKG normal.

The sono found the mass to be 5x3 but also found a parathyroid/thyroid lesion that was 1.2 cm.

All labs are normal. CBC, TSH T4, Mono, are all normal. Theses have been repeated and are still normal.

CT of thorax and neck. No pulmonary nodules found, no other adenopathys (hilar or mediastinal or left supraclavicular). Heart was normal size. Nothing wrong with any other glands.

CT diagnosis is Right Matted Supraclavicular Lymphadenopathy.
Some scattered less then pea size nodes. Before the CT we knew that I had one inlarged submandiular node and another little one to the left. I found them because they were sore.
They recommended a PET Scan as a follow up.

My physician has sent me for a FNA but the radiologist is not sure he can get to the thyroid lesion since the larger mass is in the way. It is pressing on the jugular vein.

Any opinion would be helpful. All the info on the web is just plain scarry.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:50 am

User avatar Hello asullivan07,

At this stage its very important that we exclude anything scary as quickly as possible. FNA is the gold standard for the diagnosis of a thyroid nodule especially if the thyroid hormones are normal.

The radiologist has to decide whether he can get to the nodule or not? If not a second best option would be to take a FNA from the node (mass) or to get the PET scan done.

Please keep us updated.

Good luck!

|