Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged Lymph Glands, Fatigue, Weight Loss

Grateful1218 - Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:21 pm

I am a 34 yr old female. I was sent to a Neurologist a few months ago with weakness, numbing, tingling and pain in my arms and hands. MRIs of my head and neck showed no lesions but blood tests showed signs of Lupus, low platelets, and a B strep over 100,000. I was sent to a Rheumatologist who said that I did not have Lupus. The numbness and tingling have pretty much subsided.

Over the past few months, the lymph glands in my neck and under my arms have become enlarged. They are not sore or painful but are tender. I have had an enlarged lymph gland in my groin area for a while now. I am extremely tired and my temperature has held steady around 95.7 - 96.8. I have shortness of breath, dull chest pain and frequent night sweats. I also fluctuate between hot flashes and chills during the day but I am confused because of a lack of a fever. I have lost my appetite and have lost weight without trying (approximately 2 lbs/ week)

I saw my PCP a week ago and he felt my neck and underarms. He said that they were "lumpy and tender". He put me on Synthroid but admitted that there was more going on. I am due to go back on 1/9/06. He has not ordered any tests. I have various types of cancer that run in both sides of my family.

Do you have any advice? Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:28 pm

It all depends on how clinically significant your lymph nodes are. Clinically significant lymph nodes are usually more than 1cm in size. In such a case the doctor may consider observation for a period of 2 to 3 weeks before further investigation.

The standard test for enlarged lymph nodes is a biopsy.

Why were you put on Synthroid? Do you have hypothyroidism?
 Grateful1218 - Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm

When my PCP saw me in October, he took blood and said that I had a "borderline low thyroid". He prescribed Synthroid via fax to the pharmacy but apparently they never received it. I picked it up after this past visit on 12/20/06.

When I was at work today, I was doing some light filing for about 10 mintes and began to get out of breath and have chest pain. I have a tendency to just put things off and ignore symptoms but I have to say that I am a bit concerned.

Thank you for your time.

|