Forum Name: Bladder Cancer

Question: Half-brother dx'd with advanced bladder CA

nucat78 - Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 am

My half-brother, in his mid sixties, has started chemo following the removal of his bladder and prostate for bladder cancer. There is no other family history. Only identified risk factor was that he was a heavy smoker for a number of years.

I am a 51 y.o. male, never smoked, a couple of bouts of prostatitis (PSA was 0.7 a few years back), one non-specific UTI in college. SInce I am now statistically at a higher risk for bladder CA, what is a prudent course of action for me to take regarding check-ups, etc?

Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:00 pm

The association between cigarette smoking and BC is well established.

Genetic causes on the other hand is suggested by different studies.

Recent studies examined the additive effects of family history of BC and smoking showed that the risk increased in smokers when they have a family history especially when this family member was diagnosed with bladder cancer before 65 years of age.

Another study suggested also that the disease linked to genetic factor is X-linked that it is more prevalent in females (parental-offspring).

Regarding screening procedure, till now there is inadequate evidence to support that screening for bladder and other urothelial cancers may improve the mortality due to bladder cancer.

I do not think you can be considered at high risk (to my knowledge) and even so screening methods are still investigational.

You better follow up with your family doctor, he might recommend a frequent microscopic examination for urine (urine analysis) which would be adequate as long as you have no symptoms that require more investigations.

Keep us updated.

|