Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Question about Breast Cancer.

rushelle - Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:08 pm

I am 34 yrs old female and have 2 children. Went to see Dr. in early July, 2006 regarding a lump found in the left breast. It was situated on the 2 o'clock position and fairly deep. Dr. confirmed lump by physical exam and requested a mammogram to be taken. July 18th, 2006-Mammogram was taken of both breasts. July 26th, 2006-Mammogram results confirm a lump in the left breast. Inconclusive findings. Spot compression and ultrsound requested. August 8th, 2006-Spot compression of left Breast. ultrasound of left Breast. August 9th, 2006- Noticed nipple on left Breast to be very itchy. Tried to relieve it with creams and cold cloth. No relief. Discharge from left nipple is blackish in appearance and sticky. Very hot by times as well as a very "full feeling". at times seems somewhat swollen but not much. August 11th, 2006- App. with Dr.regarding itch and go over mammo and ultrasound results. Ultrasound confirmed a bi-lobe cyst deep by chest wall at the 2 o'clock position. One part approx. 1.4 cm in diameter and the other part .8 cm in diameter. Thoughts of radioligist- "appears benign" App. made with surgeon . Prescribed hydrocortisone cream for the itch. If no relief in a few days, to come back. August 14th, 2006- No relief from cream and nipple has a terrible burning sensation. Dr. prescribes antibiotic- (in case of infection). also orders a battery of blood tests: Iron, B12, CA 125, Cholesteral, CBC, Renal Profile. Family History of Breast Cancer and ovarian Fibrocystic Disease showing atypical cells. All sisters and mother had hysterectomies before age of 40, except me.

Update: August 24th.
Went to surgeon and cyst was drained but sample was not sent for testing. Surgeon said cysts are not cancerous and that testing sample would be a 'waste of time'. Also that blisters around areola and nipple are most likely exzema and would go away. Said I was too young to be worried about ibc.

It is now December 30th and about 8 weeks ago I noticed that the cyst/s are back. The 'water-blisters' (some clear and some bloody-like) have never left and the itching is still there. So is the discharge. Also my lymph node directly over my right breast is quite swollen. Went to local Dr. Confirmed both cysts in left breast and 'feels like a cyst over right breast, about 2" below collarbone. Went back to see surgeon. Said to come back in a month for re-evaluation. I have another app. January 16th. I am concerned that this matter is not being concidered seriuosly enough. Should I tell him to send me to a breast specialist? I don't want to insult him, but I feel like not enough is being done. When I asked him to biopsy and test this time or maybe another mammo, he shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't think he needed to. Thank you for any suggestions you can give me.

The only medication I am on is thryoid mediaction- synthroid .175mg.
I had a cyst about the size of a pear removed from my right ovary 12 yrs ago, several smaller cysts removed over a course of 3 yrs from same ovary(all benign), a benign lump removed from my left breast (3 o'clock postition) 2 yrs ago.

Sorry this is so long. thank you.

rushelle
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:00 am

User avatar Hi rushelle,
I would strongly encourage you to see a breast specialist. Symptoms that don't resolve in a short amount of time with treatment should be investigated further. The statement that one is "too young" to develop breast cancer is incorrect. There are average age ranges (guidelines) that the frequency of certain cancers are typically increased, however, that is not to say that cancer doesn't ever happen to age out of the guidelines. IBC can be difficult to detect due to the fact that there may or may not be a "lump" because the cancer spreads in "sheets". Diagnostics such as a mammogram or ultrasound may not detect IBC either. A skin punch biopsy is typically how IBC is detected.
Paget's disease of the breast typically affects the nipple and areola. It may be mistaken for eczema due to the similarity of symptoms. Symptoms, ie., redness, itching, scaling/crusting/oozing, burning, and sometimes an inverted nipple and or nipple discharge, etc., not resolving in a short amount of time, ie., (approx 1 month) despite treatment needs EVALUATED by a breast specialist. Diagnostics, mammogram, ultrasound may be helpful but again diagnosis is typically verified with a tissue biopsy. I again, STRONGLY encourage an evaluation by a breast specialist and an update to your post would be very appreciated when your time permits. Best wishes.
 rushelle - Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:14 pm

I thank you very much for getting back to me.

What is the best way for me to go about getting an appointment with a Breast specialist?

I live in Canada, and where I live right now, I do not have a regular family doctor. I'm afraid that this Surgeon that i DO have another appointment with Jan. 16th, will not forward me to one.

Would I be best to go into the local ER and ask the Dr. on call there to forward me ?

I'm more concerned about the possibilities of this being Pagets disease because of the fact of it staying more so around my areola and nipple of my left breast. However, the fact that I am now feeling a lump in the lymph node over my right breast has me quite concerned to say the least.

I have an appointmant on the 17th as well will the pap clinic. Would they be able to refer me to a breast specialist if the Surgeon does not?

Again, thanks for your answer back. Will definitely keep you posted.

rushelle
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:38 am

User avatar Hi rushelle,
If the surgeon does not refer you to a breast specialist then make sure when you have your Pap smear at the clinic that you request referral at that time. A breast exam should also be included in your exam. Again, an update would be appreciated. Best wishes.
 rushelle - Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:01 am

Thank you for your suggestions.

If the surgeon will not refer me , I will definitely request it from the pap clinic.

I will get back to you after my appointments on the 16th & 17th.

Hopefully I will be on my way to finding out what is going on.

rushelle

|