Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Painful Lump on Back of neck

Tiss - Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:47 pm

I was reading many of the post, and some were very similar but not. I have noticed this painful lump size of a nickle behind my left ear- up above my hair line almost center of my neck. It is very hard to the touch and painful. When pressed and messed with it gives me a headache. Family tells me to get this checked and it makes me worry, I just noticed this a few days ago. I am 36' Female with no serious medical issues. Can someone please shine some light on this.

Thank you so very much~
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:22 am

The swelling you have described that is felt on the back of the neck behind the ear could be:
- It is probably enlarged Lymph nodes as it occurs in a Lymph node region.
Abnormal Lymph node enlargement commonly results from infection / immune response, cancer.

Following infection Lymph nodes become enlarged, painful and tender as you have described.

A history of scalp infected lesions, or Ear infection may be present, as this lymph node could be a reactionary to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group.

- The other possibility is an infected hair follicle (follicultis) which may involve with it the sebaceous glands and may form an abscess.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Keep us updated.

|