Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: lump on the right side of my neck

drummerkid - Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:25 am

im a 16 year old guy, I have this bump on the right side of my neck, its just above my shoulder about 2-3 inches above my shoulders. i just noticed it yesterday. should i be worried about this and what should i do?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:36 pm

It would be more helpful if you can inform us more about the characters of this swelling like size, if painful, tender, etc.

Is there any history of scalp infected lesions, Ear, Throat, skin infection in the area drained by these nodes? Or did you notice this swelling following any attack of viral infection.
Did you notice any other swellings in other parts of the body?
Is there any fever.

The swelling you have described that is felt on the upper side of the neck is probably enlarged Lymph nodes as it occurs in a Lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician.

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement commonly results from infection / immune response, cancer.

Following infection Lymph nodes become enlarged, painful and tender. When infections resolve, the lymph nodes become smaller in size but remain palpable and never go to normal size.

Direct clinical examination is essential to exclude other causes like abscess, lymphoma etc.

Keep us updated.
 drummerkid - Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:46 pm

you cant really see the lump, but when i touch it it feels about the size of a marble. its a little sore when i move my head at times and it hurts when i touch it. i also have had a sore throat since the same day that i noticed it.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter.

There is a probability that the lymph node (if so) you have noticed is reactionary to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group is possible.

Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size after infection control tend to be more reassuring.

Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosis.

I advise you to seek direct medical consultation.

|