Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Malignant Lymph Node

bashfulbutterfly - Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:41 pm

I have read up about swollen lymph nodes, and have noticed that most of the replies on the Lymphoma area, and this area are all the same posts. They all say the exact same thing, and some of the "symptoms" contradict themselves. A malignant lymph node should be hard, fixed, irregularly shaped, non-tender, and firm, while it is also said that some of these things can constitute a lymph node fighting infection so it is difficult to differentiate which is which. I know it is impossible for a complete diagnosis online, however it is possible for someone to retain information to speak to their doctor about, specific questions to ask, etc. The purpose of this post is to ask a few questions regarding a swollen lymph node in the neck. A swollen node fighting infection would constitute rubbery, firm, and mobile correct? I have heard of different sizes, even some up to 2 inches big that can be normal. I would appreciate if the same information is not said to me yet again, as I would like to retain new information.

I am over 50 years old (would prefer not to state the exact age), and I have a swollen lymph node in my neck. It is not extremely large, and is only visible when tilting my head completely to the right. I have an autistic son who is prone to colds and respiratory illnesses which passes along to the rest of my family, so we all encounter approximately 4 colds per year, while some may have only one a year. As of now, I do have a cold that is beginning to subside which was caught from my grandson. I do not have any night sweats, no difficulty swallowing, no feeling of fullness in the throat, or anything of the sort. The lymph node in my neck is approximately 1.3 cm in height, and 1.9 cm in width. It is not painful unless pressed on, does not restrict the movement in my neck, and has not been bothersome other than its presence being there. It is not hard as a rock, it is not fixed to the skin or any underlying tissue, but is mobile when moved from side to side, up and down. It is not overly soft, but it is not hard either. More of a chewy consistency, or rubbery as it has been called. What I am asking here is, are malignant lymph nodes hard or soft? Are they mobile or fixed in place? Are they irregularly shaped as stated before? General size of a malignant lymph node? Any information would be of great help.
Thank you
 bashfulbutterfly - Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:10 pm

I would also like to note that the lump is oval in shape, has not gotten any larger or any smaller. I did measure it upon first seeing it a couple of weeks ago and it proved to be one inch in width. It now measures 3/4 inch, however I could have measured it wrong in the beginning, although I do believe I did. I have been taking ibuprofen to bring down the swelling, and I am not sure if it has done anything, but I am watching it consistently. I would also like to note that currently I do have bursitis of the elbow. It was fairly large to begin with, however it has been going down, and is now very loose and baggy. I am not sure if this could have any effect on a lymph node and making it swell. There are no other swollen nodes if the lump I am seeing it indeed a node which it looks and feels as though it is and is in the correct spot constituting a lymph node. Any help would be greatly appreciated regarding the previous questions.
 bashfulbutterfly - Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:57 pm

Update:
My recent cold acquired from my grandson seems to have had some sort of effect on my swollen lymph node. Now that the cold is subsiding, so is the lymph node. It is no longer very easy to see when my head is tilted to the side, and does not protrude from my neck as much. It is now flatter, and definitely not as large. My worries will not be completely over until the swelling is completely gone, or enough to the point where I will not be able to easily see it or palpate it. Ibuprofen could have had some effect as I have been taking that to help with the swelling. Although there have been no replies to my post, I would like to thank those that have taken the time to read my posts, might have learned something from them, etc.
Thank you

|