News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Bladder Cancer

Question: Bladder Cancer, "2 of 3", "Moderately-Aggress

willie49 - Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:24 am

Hello,
I am a healthy, active and alert 84 yr old, white male. I have high blood pressure which is under control w/ a prescription.

And I take a water pill for swollen ankles.

4 mths ago and again last month, tumors were removed from my bladder. This question may be premature because I don't know the name of the cancer and more details yet. (The Dr. & I keep having to reschedule post-op appt).

On the phone I was given confusing, limited details but I clearly understood that I have "2 of 3" type __________ ________?cancer, continue to scope/test me every 3 mths. And if it was worse they would "remove my bladder". Also "moderately-aggressive". Wondering how alarmed I should be?

Would greatly appreciate any more info.
Thanks Alot,

Michigan
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 am

Thanks for posting you question here at The Lounge.

There are some key points of information needed in your case for me to talk further about it. It would seem that from what you describe, your bladder cancer may be a superficial type involving only the inside layer of the bladder but going deeper into the muscle of the bladder.

Here are some questions to ask your doctor:

1.) Was the cancer superficial or invasive into the muscle.
2.) Is the type of bladder cancer a transitional cell carcinoma (the most common type) or is it some other type.
3.) How many lesions were there? One or more?

Superficial lesions, as they become more "aggressive" appearing or of a higher grade number, have increased risks of recurring. If a bsuperficial bladder cancer recurs, then it could invade deeper into the baldder and involve the muscle layers. In such situations, more aggresive treatment, such as removing the baldder, can be contemplated. Otherwise, superficial bladder tumors are removed without the need, for the most part, for removal of the baldder.

Has you doctor talked with you about the need for any type of therapy instilled into the bladder in order to decrease the risk of the bladder tumor recurring?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here