Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Small Bumps on the Skull under the skin

rkesler - Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:10 pm

My infant Daughter has about three or four tiny bumps on her skull under the skin, two are behind her right ear the other two are on the back of her skull, they do not seem to bother her, but I am losing alot of sleep over this, could it be a type of cancer??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:37 pm

This could be:

- Seborrheic Dermatitis occurs on any part of the body where the skin is oily or greasy.
Areas commonly affected are the scalp, eyebrows, eyelids, and creases of the nose, lips.
They usually flare in winter and become less in summer.

Specific lotions and shampoo are used for treatment.

- Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicles. Forming small, white-headed Bumps in hair follicles (roots).
Lesions may be Itching. Superficial folliculitis resolves spontaneously in a few days, while deep or recurring folliculitis should be medically treated.

- Lymph node enlargement is common to occur as reactionary process to scalp, skin and ear infections.

Direct clinical examination is essential to exclude other causes of lymphadenopathy and small abscess.

I advise you to seek direct clinical examination.

Keep up us updated.
Best regard.
 rkesler - Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:06 pm

her doctor looked at them, but she said that she could not feel them, but they are there I thought that it was her lymph nodes, until we discovered the ones on the back of her head. but it is not hair a folical infection or any type or dermetitis, it is very frustrating. when your primary care physician can not feel what is there.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:19 pm

If you do feel them and you have discovered a new one, you better consult a dermatologist.

Sometimes small subcutaneous lesions are difficult to be felt and may be considered normal changes in the skin consistency especially in the scalp where many skin changes occur.

But serial examination is more important to notice any change.
Thus you either follow up with the same Doctor to make her see the new lesion or to directly consult a dermatologist.

Local hygienic measures to keep the scalp less greasy and clean with the careful use of non irritant or allergic compounds are important to avoid infections and skin inflammation.

Keep us updated.
 rkesler - Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Thank you for your time. I wanted to add that these feel like a lymph node, as in they are pea sized, moveable and hard-rubbery textured. I have counted seven on her head, mid to base of skull and going from one ear to the other all around. The other two are one each in her armpits. She has no other symptoms, yet she does grab at the back of her ear where the cluster (3) of them is. Could there be nodes on the sides and back of her skull area?
 rkesler - Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:48 pm

Sorry, I forgot to ask if the codition you mentioned could have this same type of feel?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:09 pm

It is very difficult to tell what this could be without direct clinical examination however, nodules of this size are usually related to sebaceous (oil) gland or hair follicles.

Oil glands secrete oily substance known as sebum. They are found every where in the body with the exception of the palms and soles. When the duct becomes clogged with hardened sebum, a cyst is formed.

They are less likely to be lymph nodes but clinical examination is essential for diagnosis.

I advise you to go for dermatological consultation.

mbarrow - Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:13 pm

I am a 32-year-old woman who was born with what you described your daughter having in 2007. I am not sure if you will get notification of my reply, but I didn't have any other way of contacting you.

I'd like to discuss my medical history with you so that your daughter can seek proper treatment.

I underwent surgery for this condition as a child, and I'd be happy to share my story with you. My parents were baffled as to what was on my head at that age as well, but I have not experienced regrowth of the cysts since I underwent the surgery.

I'd be happy to talk about this with you.

Best,
Melissa

|