News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: lymph nodes of the neck

sarge - Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:17 pm

I am a 28 year old male that has 6-7 palpable lymph nodes. one of them is 1.5 cm around and the others are around 1cm. All the nodes are pretty much movable and rubbery.Is it normal to feel 6-7 nodes in your neck? The nodes are like in a row from my ear down right on the side of my neck. I have neck pain all the time and just don't feel like myself. Ive been too alot of ent's and doctors and they all say it normal.On the net i read people had cancer with a 1cm node and my concern is i have 6-7. I don't know what to do and im scared to death.No doctors or ents think they need to be biopsied because of the size well what about the quanity ?I have had these for a year almost since i found them.Whats the best test to determine the actual size? Thanks for you time, sorry i wrote so much.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:41 pm

User avatar Hello,

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer.

Sometimes, following infection, Lymph nodes remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (about 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection (hard, fixed, increasing progressively in size). These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

Individuals with history of recurrent upper respiratory, ear, throat dental, and scalp infections tend to have clinically palpable lymph nodes.

So, the probability that the lymph node you have noticed is due to previous infection in the area drained by this lymph node group is high.

Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size after infection control tend to be more reassuring.

Hope this information is useful.
Keep us updated.
Best regards

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here