Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Recurring Swollen Lymph Node

felixmadison - Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:31 pm

hi. I went to the doctor two months ago for treatment of an enormous swollen gland on the right side of my neck. The gland swelled very rapidly at an alarming rate and size. After taking some antibiotics the swelling went away. Now two months later, the same gland swelled again to a very large size very rapidly. When I say rapidly I mean in under five minutes. I will be having a blood work up and a cat scan of my neck and am wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience with the rapid onset of swelling and if any of the Doctors may have some advice or opinions because I am concerned about possibly having Lymphoma. Thanks.

felix
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:19 pm

It would be helpful if you can inform us about the associated medical condition when this node is enlarged. Do you have fever at the same time? Do you have any form of upper respiratory tract infection or throat infection or any other illness?
Is it only this node or other nodes are felt and enlarge but in a different rate and severity?

By far the most common cause of lymph node enlargment is infection. And the description you give is more likely to be due to infection (viral or bacterial) .

Allergic reaction to some drugs or any allergen can give similar picture.

This is not a typical course for malignancies however it should be excluded too.

Blood tests and radiological evaluation of the head, neck and chest are essential.

Keep us updated.
 felixmadison - Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:23 am

Thanks for your reply Dr. Mahmoud.

There are no associated medical conditions that I am aware of when the node is enlarged. No fever, or any form of upper respiratory tract infection or throat infection or any other illness to the best of my knowledge. Basically, I feel fine. This is the only node that has become enlarged. Currently the swelling has subsided, but it still remains somewhat enlarged and tender to touch.

I will be going for my blood work and CAT Scan today and will keep you posted regarding the outcome when I get the results. Thanks again.

felix
 felixmadison - Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:01 am

Just wanted to follow up my last post with a little more information. When the swelling of the affected lymph node subsides, it is still larger and more tender in comparison to the lymph node on the other side of my neck. Thanks.

felix
 felixmadison - Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Dr. Mahmoud,

Can you please inform me of any specific blood tests I should request? Today I had blood taken for a comprehensive metabolic screening. Not sure if that covers all necessary things the Doctor should be investigating. I also had a Cat Scan with IV contrast and am not sure if they looked at my chest and head or not. Also, independent of the outcome of the Cat Scan I was thinking that I will also follow up with a specialist as my Doctor is a General Practioner. What type of Doctor should I see in order to get a thorough evaluation to rule out Lymphoma? Thanks.

felix
 felixmadison - Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:32 pm

My general metabolic blood work results came back today and the Doctors office said the results were good. Now I am being sent for more blood tests. At the moment I have no idea what they will be looking for, and I am growing more concerned because if this was not caused by an infection then what could it possibly be? Any Doctors or medical professionals please do chime in on this thread and let me know if any of my scenario is a familiar one to you. Will keep you updated. Thanks!
 felixmadison - Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:43 pm

My Test results came back from the blood work and CAT Scan. Both Metabolic Screening and CBC blood tests show nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not sure if that is good news or not. The cat scan shows several lymph nodes in my neck which are enlarged, but not enlarged enough to be screaminf abnormal pathology. I am following up with an ENT next week. I am concerned about the cat scan as this little region of enlarged lymph nodes is small, but they are hard and bumpy. Please, anyone?

|