Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Conventional surgery, radiation and chemo no longer adequate

marcia m - Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:39 pm

I am a 66 yr. old male who has been battling colorectal cancer for 11 yrs. After 16 surgeries, 2 rounds radiation (plus one radiation during surgery) and chemo, the cancer has matastacized to 2-3 tumors in one lung as well as a few tumors at the sight of the original cancer in the rectum. The chemo has consisted of Lavamisol, Lucovorin, zeloda, Camptazar, 5fu, orylaplatin and erbitux. I am on a brief break from tx with the last 5 due to infections of my finger and toe nails. I am told this is the last chemo line available to me as Avastin is only last ditch resort because of a prior blood clot on blood thinners) to the lung. Oxylaplatin did cause neuropathy. Otherwise I am in "excellent health" meaning I would't know I was sick if they didn't tell me so. Being so highly treated, I would expect it to be difficult to match with a clinical trial. My oncologist said that most people at this point just go home and make the most of the remaining time. By talking to friends in other parts of the country we have learned of the cyber knife and other treatments which points out that doctors here either do not know of other avenues or do not mention possibilities which they can not offer. I am a retired pilot who thinks globally and can go most anywhere. In addition, I have found it extremely difficult to research alternative methods of treating cancer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I welcome all comments. Heartfelt thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:34 am

I would still think that you should not close the door on clinical trials yet. Although, most trials are conducted as the first or second line of chemotherapy, that isn't always the case.

One way you can research this is by visiting the following page: Click here!

There you can search current and prospective trials as well as call them up and ask for help and advice about your case.

Regarding the role of radiosurgery in your case, I do not have enough experience or data to give you advice. However, I think that although you only have 2 or 3 lesions in the lung besides the local recurrence, it may not be of great benefit. If it were one lesion or if they were in the liver there may have been a better role. Then again that is all speculation since I do not think that there are any survival data about using radiosurgery in this setting since the technique is relatively new.

Are you being treated by a specialist in rectal cancer? Have you considered consulting with an expert in the field? At this stage and especially given your good general condition this is worth considering. I could try to ask around for you if you want.

Best of luck!

|