Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Small concern for lump on neck

JM2007 - Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:32 pm

I am a 30 yo healthy male. I am a smoker and slightly overweight. No family history of cancer. A couple of days ago I awoken with a stiff neck. I am very sure it was just the way I slept since it went away very quickly. However, while feeling my neck, I noticed what felt like two small bumps on the right side just above the collar bone. I should note that these are not noticible unless I press down on my neck in the normal position or if I lean my neck all the way to the left. Of course when I checked the net, anything in that area is cause for concern, so that is why I am inquiring. When I grab deep into my neck, I feel only one, it feels like a jellybeen, not sure if it is a CM or not as it is hard to measure. I cannot feel it on the other side. It is non tender, solid, but not rock hard (I think, it is hard to tell). Could it just be a lymph node I can feel if I really look for it. I would have never found if I didn't go poking at my neck. One other note: I can say with reasonable certainty that I felt something similar about 6 years ago, but never thinking anything of it. I have not had any colds recently, other than maybe a mild one two months ago. I haven't been to a doctor in about 4 years however I have an appointment in a couple months. Should I make an appointment sooner? Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:53 pm

According to your description, they could be lymph nodes but this should be confirmed by direct clinical examination by your doctor.

If we assumed they are lymph node, then the history you gave is reassuring since you have felt them years ago and there is no significant or apparent increase in size.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter.

There is a probability that the lymph node (if so) you have noticed is reactionary to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group is possible.

Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size after infection control tend to be more reassuring.

Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosis.

Keep us updated.

|