Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: I have a bump on my neck

kara_e - Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:01 am

I have a hard 'lump' on the bottom back of my neck. It's a bit bigger than a pea and is round. I noticed it yesterday and there has been no significant change. I haven't been proding at it, but it doesn't hurt unless I push it a bit, then it feels a bit irritated. If there is no change or if it enlarges within the next week, I will probably ask my mom to go to the clinic. My question is what this could be, and if it could be a form of cancer.
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:23 pm

Dear kara_e,

It can be a simple inflammation ,especially since it hurts...and become irritated...just keep following it up, but don't irritate it at the same time,ok? Have you had a recent flu/sore thorat ,etc? do you have any scalp problems(dandruff or seborroheic dermatitis)?

All of these can attribute to swollen lymph nodes ...it's the body's defensive mechanism against bacteria,viruses,etc.. where immunity cells are being cooked in the lymph nodes ( as a figure of speech).

Don't panic,just follow it every 2-3 days and check if you have any lumps anywhere,how old are you?

kara_e - Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm a girl, 14 years old, I'll be 15 in March, I don't have any more dandruff than I usually do, and I haven't had any flus recently or been sick at all, but I've been with my familly who all got a gastro eccept for my brother and I.

|