Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Early stages of ovarian cancer?

zoeout - Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:12 am

I am 19 years old and I recently had my ovary removed because of a cyst on it. I was informed by my doctor a few days ago that the pathology tests they did on the ovary suggested that there may be cancerous cells within the ovary. I had no symptoms leading up to the ovary removal. The only way we knew it was there was because I had a kidney stone several months ago and they dectected a mass on my ovary.

Right now we are waiting for more information from my doctor as to what will happen to me. He made it very clear that I needed to meet with more doctors in the very near future. In the mean time I'm scared and would like some information as to what I'm in for.

What sorts of tests will I be subjected to?
What sorts of treatments might I have to undergo?
Will I be able to continue with my normal activies while all this craziness is going on? (I'm a sophmore in college majoring in engineering)
Has anyone heard of such a case before in regards to my age and situation?

Any information would be helpful and much appreciated, I need some... peace of mind I guess.

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:31 am

It all depends on what the pathology report says. Generally speaking ovarian cancer does appear more frequently with age. It may appear without symptoms, discovered as in your case on routine investigation.

The most important next step will be doing investigations that can help determine the stage of your cancer. Depending on the presence or absence of several prognostic factors (bad signs) and your stage, the doctor will determine the best treatment approach for your disease.

Here's a link to the cancer.gov website which can help you understand more about your condition.

Click here!

Please keep us updated.
 zoeout - Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Thank you for your reply Dr. Fouad.

Here is the update on my situation so far:
I spoke with a gyno-oncologist today. He said during my surgury (he was not present but spoke to the doctor who had preformed it) the cyst had ruptured while being removed. He is concerned that the cancer cells could have migrated to other parts of my body. He also mentioned that the surgury was not "staged". I'm still not sure what this staging had to do with what is going on. If anyone can offer some clairification on that matter I would be very thankful. The total pathology report hasn't been finalized but my doctor wished to be fairly agressive inorder to stop the spread quickly if anything did migrate.

This week I'm scheduled for a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis area in order for them to see if anything else looks suspicious. I'm also scheduled for my first chemotherapy treatment next week. I'm extremely nervous about the chemo. I'm going to attempt to continue my school work while all this is taking place.

Can any one, professionals or paitents, give me a detailed description of how I'm going to feel during and after the chemo? The doctor mentioned that it is different for different people, so if anyone would care to share their experiences I would be glad to read them. Also, how fast will I be losing my hair? Never did I think I would be bald at the age of 19... This more than anything makes me nervous because all my classmates will know what is going on and I don't know how to handle them knowing that.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

|