Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lumps on back & side of neck

melz - Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:11 pm

I'am F/33yrs old 5'10 176.6 lbs ,on depo inj birth control,using vitiams and calcuim pills, -on friday 01/12/07pm I felt like I had a stiff neck.started to rub the back of my neck and discovered to small lumps on both side were the neck and head meet were it starts to curve.Then on saturday 01/12/07 am I discovered 2 more lumps 1medium size directly behind right ear and 1 small lump direcltly behind left ear and another lump on right side of neck medium size like 3-4 inches below the right ear but off to the back of the neck,went to doctor,did general blood panel came back normal , urine test came back normal, I have lost 53lbs in the past 10months since I'am on a diet. so on fri. 01/12/07 were doing another round to blood test, a TB<which looks neg.,thyroid panel, HIV test, and CBCw/diff. doctor said if these test come up neg. and I still have the lumps I have to go to a specialists?
I'am very scared! What type of specialilsts? Is it cancer? he did not say . I have Not been sick nor had a cold or fever. this came on all the sudden. Can some one a Dr./RN, explain how 5 lumps just appeared on my neck.and I'm not sick? help!!!!!!!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer.

Sometimes, following infection, Lymph nodes remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection (hard, fixed, increasing progressively in size). These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

Individuals with history of recurrent upper respiratory, ear, throat dental, and scalp infections tend to have clinically palpable lymph nodes.

So, the probability that the lymph node you have noticed is due to previous infection in the area drained by this lymph node group is high.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter.

Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size after infection control tend to be more reassuring.

The tests your doctor have requested are helpful in the initial steps for diagnosis. If there is still doubt about their nature then further investigations including biopsy may be considered. Surgical consultation is helpful.

Hope this information is useful.
Keep us updated.

|