News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Second node has now swelled ...

jots_in_nj - Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:58 pm

Hello. I'm a healthy 30 year old female, have had a swollen lypmh node in the "right submandibular region measuring 1.8 x 1.1 cm" since Apr 06 (per a CT scan). My ENT said since I had no other symptoms, he was unconcerned.

I now have another swollen node, about an inch below that one, and much larger. I've called my Dr and am waiting a call back, but I am sick to my stomache with worry.

Could it be that I had lymphoma back in Apr and the Dr missed it? Maybe slow growing lymphoma that is now growing faster? Why would I now have a very large second node with no apparant reason for it? No infection, no virus, etc?

I realize these are general questions that only my ENT can fully answer, but I'm wondering if you could share any insight into what else could be causing this long term swelling and now a new, larger swelling.

Thank you
Michelle
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:18 pm

User avatar Hello,

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement commonly results from infection / immune response, cancer.

A thorough examination of the area drained by these lymph nodes is essential to look for infections and inflammation in the oral cavity like dental problems, gum, throat etc.

The character of these nodes like their size, consistency, associated pain or tenderness are important in differential diagnosis.

Investigations done include:
CBC
ESR
LDH
Plus many other routine investigations are requested by your doctor according to the results of his thorough clinical examination as well as the complete history.

Follow up with your doctor is essential.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here