Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: swollen lymph node on right side of neck

wesman200098 - Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:58 pm

I am 24 male, and I have a swollen lymph node on the lower right side of my neck, about 3 inches below my ear. This lymph node has been swollen for about 6 weeks, and it is currently about 1cm in diameter.

In mid December, I was diagnosed with tonsillitis, and this is when I noticed my swollen lymph node. My doctor gave me a 10 day course of penicillin. I completed it, and it cured my infection about 3 weeks ago. My lymph node seemed to have shrunk a little after I finished my antibiotic, but it hasn't changed much in the last 2 weeks. It is fairly tender and mobile. I do touch it several times a day just because I am concerned about it, and after I touch it a couple of times, it seems to be a little painful. Should I be concerned over this? Should the lymph node return back to normal and within what normal time frame? Thanks.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:46 am

Sometimes, following infection, Lymph nodes remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection (hard, fixed, increasing progressively in size). These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

Individuals with history of recurrent upper respiratory, ear, throat, tonsils, dental, and scalp infections tend to have clinically palpable lymph nodes.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter.

Of significance, an increase in nodal size on serial examinations. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are important and those that regress in size after infection control tend to be more reassuring.

Mechanical irritation by frequent pressing and touching is not advisable as it may result in inflammation of the lymph nodes.

Hope this information is useful.
Keep us updated.

|