Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lump in armpit

Rochgirl - Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:00 am

hi I am a 29 year old married woman. When I was 14 years old I developed a lump in my right armpit which grew to the size of a golf ball. It is still the same size, the skin texture and color is the same as my normal skin. It is not painful at all and is soft and is in round in shape. I do not have a history of family breast cancer and I have also had a baby 4 years ago but the size of the lump remained the same during and after the pregnancy. I have never consulted a dr. due to fear but I would appreciate any input and guidance.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:33 am

It could be:
- A lymph node as it occurs in a lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician.

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are up to 1 cm in diameter, nodes larger than 1.5 cm should be considered abnormal.

Thus the size you have described is of concern. Of significance, an increase in size on serial examinations.

- A swelling in this area could be also an enlarged breast tissue that would be located at the axillary tail.

Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.
 Rochgirl - Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt response doctor. I am due to go in for a physical examination next week and will discuss this issue with my doctor. Secondly, is this condition curable and can I physically afford to get pregnant and give birth ? please do reply.

Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 pm

First of all the diagnosis should be confirmed by your Doctor.
If it is a lymph node then the nature of this enlarged node should be diagnosed and the treatment and prognosis will be expected according.

If this is an enlarged breast tissue , then it is a benign condition that in many cases does not necessitate any treatment unless for cosmetic appearance. It does not also change your chances
in getting pregnant.

Hope this information is useful.
Keep us updated.

|