News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Neck Lump is a submandibular gland not a lymph node

Jen32 - Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:40 pm

After having a CT scan on a lump in my neck, the doctors have convinced me that the "lump" is my submandibular gland... rather than lymphnodes. No real other symptoms of anything besides fatigue.

Then I got the results of my CBC today.

The only thing that concerned me is:

"The blood counts showed a normal WBC of 4.4 (Normal Range 4.8-10.2)."

So, to me it doesn't look like it falls w/in "normal" range - it looks low to me. But they are still calling it normal. ?????? Is this normal? Or should I be worried about it?

Everything else looks fine... Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, Platelet Count, electrolyte, kidney function, liver function, blood sugar, TSH...

So, should I still be concerned... my number one thought with this "lump" was lymphoma... would my WBC be an indication of anything I need to be concerned about? Does this testing rule out lymphoma, or should I have further tests done because of my concerns?

Thank you!
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:55 pm

User avatar Hi Jen,

Normal levels: )based on National scales)
The normal range for WBC count is 4,300 to 10,800 cells per cubic millimeter (cmm) or 4.3 to 10.8 x 109 cells per liter.

Your White cell count is normal, and there is no need for you to worry, if you are still not satisfied with your WNC Count, wait 14 to 20 days and have the test done again. But from what I see you are fine.

Good Luck

Dr. Anderson

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here