Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump in back of my neck

MaryFlowers1973 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:17 pm

Age:33 Sex:Female Past Diagnoses: Faibermal?? Mass from an MRI Family History My sis passed from Lyphnomic Cancer and my Mother passed for Pancreatic Cancer
I have a lump in my neck and have for 4 months or so. It is getting larger and I now have what to me feels like a constaint stiff neck. I am going to see the surgen on 1/30/07 but have not been told anything. I am not even sure what the lump is the are taking. I got a call and was told to make my appt w/ the surgen inmmed. All the doc. office said was a fibermal something and need to be taken out immed. I just want to find a little more info befor I go in Tues. Could some one help me on what this could be.
Thank You
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:31 pm

It would be more helpful if you can inform us more about the characters of this swelling like exact site, size, if painful, tender, etc.

Is there any history of recent infections, Ear, Throat, skin infection in the area near this swelling? Or did you notice this swelling following any attack of viral infection.
Did you notice any other swellings in other parts of the body?
Is there any fever.

I would like to know more about your past history, what was your complaint and how did the doctor diagnose your condition and what did they inform you about this diagnosis?, as it is not clear to me that name (Faibermal).

MaryFlowers1973 - Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:26 am

It isn’t painful at all. The only thing I have started to experience is a stiff neck type of feeling on the right side. It is about an inch or so maybe bigger. It is slow getting larger. It runs directly with my spine between by hairline and neck. I am a very health woman no ear infections or anything. No fevers or sicknesses. I have had a Ultra Sound X-Ray and MRI w/ a die test. The Dr. called and said it is a fibersomething type of mass and had to be remover immediately. This was said after my MRI w/ die test. I have had it for 4 months now. In my uterus I have has 18 cysts remove and 1 polup, sorry for the spelling. I still have no clarification of my mass. All I know is it is a mass and has to come out. I found the lump when I was rubbing the back of my neck one day called the doc and it went from there. It doesn’t hurt anything it is movable. They told me it is not a cyst because cysts are painful, this is not. I am just trying to clarify or find out a little more information before I go in for my surgery.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:28 pm

MRI gives a good idea about the character of this swelling being a soft tissue mass, as I could get from your description.

MRI also gives detailed anatomical information that tell if this swelling is well defined and can be completely removed by surgery or not.

I guess that your doctor has enough information that made him decide to go for surgical removal.

The nature of any swelling can not be defined unless it is examined by a pathologist after it is completely removed or a biopsy is taken from it.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to keep us updated.

Further management will be decided according to the results of the pathological examination for the removed mass.

|