Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Procedure and i cant remember what it was for!

khenn1986 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Hello, my name is Katy I'm 20 years old. I was diagnosed with Stage four ovarian cancer about a year ago. I have always had problems with my ovaries, resulting in one being removed when I was 9 due to an abnormally large cyst. Then, being cut open again at 13, and 16 for the same large cysts. Cancer runs like water all through my father's side, so its no surprise that things have ended up the way they have. This year has been crazy, and very challenging. At first I was in denial telling myself it would just go away, but it doesnt work like that and now I'm reaping that thought everyday. I started chemo in early september and it has been hell. I've come to avoid overnight hospital stays although I'm sure that quite a few times they were needed ( I cannot rest in a hospital bed! ). Recently they have stopped chemo because I fell very very ill with something (for the last month or so), that something ended up being mono! But now I am feeling better, well as good as I can feel. So I'll get to the point. I had blood work today to check my counts out and what not before we set up chemo again, and they also sent me to what looked like an xray room, where they gave me a shot(s) into my spine! I feel like such a goober because my question is what the heck were they!? I was so out of it, I don't even remember what my doctor was talking about :( I've had it done a couple times before, but I won't be able to find out until he gets back from vacation next week! and my brother is gonna ask me a million questions on what they were/what they do and I have no clue!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:27 pm

User avatar Perhaps some of my Oncology colleagues can give you more help, but I'll give you my two cents worth.

In pediatrics with leukemias and lymphomas it is very common to give a dose of chemotherapy into the spinal fluid to help prevent the cancer from spreading into the brain. It is quite possible that this is what they were doing.

Again, I am much less familiar with ovarian cancer and its protocols; however, this is my best guess from your description of the shot in the spine.

Hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon. Cancer is a difficult thing to deal with so your initial denial is understandable and quite common. I wish you all the best as you fight on.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:59 pm

User avatar Hi Katy

It sounds like you had a CT/SCAN WITH CONTRAST

CT (computed tomography), sometimes called CAT scan, uses special x-ray equipment to obtain image data from different angles around the body and then uses computer processing of the information to show a cross-section of body tissues and organs.
CT imaging is particularly useful because it can show several types of tissue—lung, bone, soft tissue and blood vessels—with great clarity. Using specialized equipment and expertise to create and interpret CT scans of the body, radiologists can more easily diagnose problems such as cancers

A CT examination often requires the use of different contrast materials to enhance the visibility of certain tissues or blood vessels. The contrast material may be swallowed, injected through an IV directly into the blood stream .

I wish you strength in this fight.

Good Luck and Please keep in touch

Dr. Anderson

|