Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: itching for an answer

concerned - Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 am

Hi. I am 31 years old. I have suffered from itching all over for almost a year now.The itching is daily and it moves from spot to spot. Even my scalp itches with no flakes , rashes of anything.
My skin looks normal.
I have had a CBC, med. panel, liver test, urine tests, ESR, ANA,
LAP blood smears, LDH, and a chest x-ray. ALL normal.
I also recently saw a oncologist to help rule out lymphomabecause of the itching. She checked the lymph nodes, found nothing alarming. I do have one swollen for 5 weeks now that is soft and moveable, it is attach to the skin, but can be pinched and picked up. It is 1cm or less.
She did a cat scan of neck and it came back normal, said there was nothing to even biopsy. I can feel it and she has too in the lower neck, not superclacicle though.
Ever once in a while i have a burning sensation on my scalp and skin too. It moves around. This made the oncologist think it may be neurological.
Would the soft tissue cat scan of the neck show lymphoma? Does a normal LDH , cat scan of neck, chest x-ray , and LAP smears rule out the likelihood of lymphoma.
I have had night sweats and chills that seem to be going away now.
I am worried that this may still be lymphoma. What should I do? What is your opinion? Thank you so much. I am so tired of itching. Oh, I have also seen an allergist. Found nothing.
Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:18 pm

Non of your results suggest lymphoma.
Your symptoms although occur in certain types of lymphoma, they are also non specific and shared with other diseases and allergic conditions.

I would like to know
- Your blood picture results and the blood film as written in the report.
I also need to know if blood culture has been done.
- If dermatological consultation was done.
- Is there any skin changes, area of skin that i more dry, scaly, hyperemic etc.
If you did not consult a dermatologist, then I advise you to do it.
-If Thyroid functions tests are done.

Keep us updated
 concerned - Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Thank you so much for taking your time to reply to my post. It is really appreciated. I do not know what the reports said. Only that they were normal. I am not sure if the oncologist did any other test other than the LAP stain smears and LDH and CBC which were all normal. I have had my thyroid checked and it is normal too. I do not know of a blood culture.
I was having stomach problems in August and was given a colonoscopy, upper GI, and an upper endoscopy, and abdominal ultrasound and they were all normal too. I don't know if that is any help since it was 5 months ago. I have been tested for trees, mold, and pollen by an allergist and found nothing. There is no change in my skin at all. It looks normal. No dryness,etc. Only occasionally will I scatch and a small welp area will come up. Zytec 10mg does stop the itching. I have not consulted a dermatologist but am being referred to a neurologist because I only occasionally have a light burning sensation that moves around my skin and scalp.When this occurs it actually is irritating to brush my hair. The itching is my main symptom that is leaving me puzzled and miserable.
I am concerned because I am scared that we have missed something. I have 4 small children and am very scared that this is serious.
__ would a catscan of the neck have told if their was lymphoma? I can still feel the lymph node, moveable and non tender for 5 weeks and the oncologist nurse said the scan was normal.
__Can blood work LDH, LAP smears, etc be normal and still have lymphoma?
__If it was lymphoma, would Zyrtec stop the itching like it does?
__Should I ask for a biopsy of the lymph node?
__ I am continually feeling the node daily, hoping it is gone!! Will that make it stay big?? I really value your opinion on this health matter.
_ also, would lymphoma itching go away for 51/2 months and come back like that?
 concerned - Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:44 pm

Hi. I recently went back to the onconlogist because I am concerned because the lymph node in my lower neck is still their after 2 months. It is still in the lower front neck. It is still moveable, soft, is attached to the skin but will roll when touched. It is not hard, fixed or matted. It is no larger but does get smaller and then goes back to its regular size. The doctor is not concerned. She says that lymphoma lymph nodes do not have to be looked for, their are lots of them. Is this always correct? I do have another node in front of my ear that has been their for the same length of time. It is a little larger but still small and more fixed but soft. She said that my CBC showed luekopenia, which she has been monitoring for a couple of months. It is lower now at 3.6 and I was mildly anemic. She said that this was probably because I had just finished my menstrual period. She did decide to do a bone marrow biopsy which came back normal. She said that this was the only way to rule out leukemia for sure. My bone marrow showed no signs of leukemia or lymphoma. My past medical records show leukopenia as far back as 5 years. I am only concerned about the lymph nodes. Should I still be worried about lymphoma?
She did not want to biopsy a lymph node. Said a bone marrow biopsy was easier. My itching is still there. It has days that are better occasionally. My night sweats have been much better. I have not had a real soaking night sweat in two months. I do have the chills alot. I have been fatigued the last four days. Could this be due to mild anemia? I do check the lymph node daily. Can this cause it to stay enlarged permanently? Thank you for your time.
 concerned - Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:44 pm

|