News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Lymphnodes,elevated wbc ,and platelet count

missyh12 - Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:29 pm

I am 33 ,and have had an elevated wbc count off and on for almost two years.In december I had a bone marrow biopsy done.Both my hematologist and the doctor that did the results on the biopsy said as of right now there are no malignancies,and if no underlying cause for elevated wbc count could be found,I could have an early emerging myeloproliferative disorder.I get a cbc done every few months to check for any abnormalities.If my wbc count goes up my doctor wants me to get another biopsy.In April my wbc count was normal at 9.5.In June I went to UVA to get checked out,and they did a cbc.My wbc count was 14.2,and my platelet count,which has never been elevated before was 461.They referred me to a hemetologist at UVA,who I'm seeing July 27.Yesterday I looked in the mirror and noticed that the lymphnode (not painful)under my right ear is huge,the one on the left is swollen ,but not as big.On the right side of my face from my ear down to my jaw is swollen.I feel fine and have no infections that I can tell.I've had many,many test done and they have yet to find any underlying cause for my slightly elevated wbc,and newly elevated platelets.Could the platelets and lymphnode be an indication that the myeloproliferative disorder is fully emerging :?:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:17 pm

User avatar Hello missy,
What's the differential count of your CBC? Is the increase mainly of the lymphocytes or of the myelocytes. The Differential count is the list of percentages you would see in a CBC report below the Total WBC count. Are there any new lymph nodes since you posted this?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here