News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Large Knots on back of head

texasangells - Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:23 am

I have a question, I'm not really sure I should really be concerned enough to see a doctor about this. I am 40 years old, I'm female and I've never had this problem before. I have woke up with 2 large knots on the back of my skull just above my hairline. If I look up they are painful, and they are painful to the touch. My scalp has been itching lately, no matter how many times I condition my hair a week....which I wash and condition my hair 4 times a week, basically every other day. My nose has been runny, but it's clear, my ears are draining slightly. I have had an ear ache recently but it went away. I have woke up sweaty, but I think that is because I sleep under 3 blankets, with 2 pairs of socks and pajamas on. I seem to have a low grade fever, but it goes away and comes back during the day, it's just off and on. These 2 painful knots on the back of my skull are what my worry is right now. Should I go see a doctor is this something that will pass?? They seem swollen and tender, they aren't hard knots. I think my dry scalp is due to the weather, my skin gets dried out during the winter time, I think that comes with getting older. What do you think, is there cause here for alarm?? Should I be worried, or is this just me?
Thank you for any advice you can give me, I appreciate your time and attention.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:50 pm

User avatar Hello,

This sounds like folliculitis. It is an infection of the hair follicles forming small, white-headed Bumps in hair follicles (roots).

Lesions may be Itching. Superficial folliculitis resolves spontaneously in a few days.
While deep folliculitis should be medically treated, bacterial infection forming large swellings containing pus (abscess), needs specific medical treatment. These swellings are painful, tender and may be associated with fever.

The draining lymph node in this area may felt enlarged too as reactionary process to infection the drained area.

I advise you to seek direct medical consultation.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here