Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Very Worried

Overman - Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:33 am

Firsty, let me say that this site is a great idea. Those with minor problems receive assurance and those that have more serious symptoms are given information and promptly sent to a doctor. Secondly, my problem: Approximately 2-3 months ago I awoke to a painful pea-sized lump just under my chin. After scanning the internet I was realized that it was a swollen lymph node. It was painful and firm and when I moved my neck to stretch it almost felt as if a was stretching a muscle in that area. The lump went away completely in 3 days. 2 weeks after that I had a sore throat and noticed that my right tonsil was swollen and had a tiny white dot on it, bigger than the tiny white dot on my left, non-swollen tonsil. Within a few days of discovering this the gland near my right jaw, at the point where the neck begins to slope down also began swelling. With this all I had ear 'sensations', not pain per se but low level discomfort. Gargling with salt water helped just a little. I went to see my GP and he said that I probably have some kind of infection and he prescibed an anitbiotic which I was to take 3 times a day for 10 days. I have just finished the regimen and while the swelling has gone down the gland in my neck is still a little tender, feeling more like 'strain' then anything else. It is more longish than round and is more or less firm and painless when i touch it directly. No fever, somewhat of a sore thorat, the ear 'sensations' , 30 yrs old and a smoker for 13 though that is going to be a thing of the past very soon. Any thoughts; this has me worrying all the time. Thank you for any thoughts and/or suggestions.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:25 pm

The swelling you have described that is felt on the Right upper side of the neck is probably enlarged Lymph nodes as it occurs in a Lymph node region.

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement commonly results from infection / immune response, cancer.
Following infection Lymph nodes become enlarged, painful and tender.

A history of throat infection or upper respiratory tract infection is usually present ,(as in your case) and this lymph node could be a reactionary to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group.

After treatment of infection with adequate course of antibiotics,
they should regress in size but never to normal size.

Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are significant and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring.

The fact that you still have this pain and neck soreness means that they are still inflamed and the course of antibiotic may need to be prolonged to complete 14 days. But it may resolve slowly in few days after finishing the course of the antibiotic with good supportive care of plenty fluid and rest.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor, and to update him.
Keep us updated.
 Overman - Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:56 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. The doctor has put me on another course of antibiotics and the swelling and pain have subsided since then. i appreciate what you do here and am glad to not be worrying anymore.

Jacob

|