News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Lump in lower left neck

Undiscovered - Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm a 27 year old female and just found a small, pea sized lump in my lower left neck. It's just slightly more towards the back of my neck than the front, and about 2 or 3 inches above my collarbone. It doesn't hurt when I touch it, and I only happened to find it because I had my head turned to the right and rubbed my neck for some reason. I've also had a cough for the past few days, like a constant tickle in my throat, not sure if that's related in anyway.

I don't have any history of cancer or any other diseases in my family. I just started taking Ortho tri cyclen a few weeks ago, but other than that I'm not on any medications.

Just a little worried about what this could be, if anything...
 Undiscovered - Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:46 pm

After looking at a bunch of diagrams of lymph nodes in the neck, it seems like it might be the posterior cervical region.
 Undiscovered - Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 pm

And to add some more, I just realized I have another lump about an inch above the lowest one. This one doesn't hurt either and they both seem moveable. Is it possible I have some type of respiratory infection, hence my cough, leading to swollen lymph nodes??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 pm

User avatar It is completely possible that you have a viral infection that has caused the nodes to swell a little. The size you describe is very common for lymph nodes to be; however, they can be quite a bit larger.

The nodes may or may not shrink back to their original size. It may take several weeks for the nodes to return to their normal size.

Occasionally lymph nodes can develop a bacterial infection within them requiring antibiotics. If the nodes truly are in the posterior cervical region this is incredibly uncommon. The anterior cervical chain has this happen a bit more often. If the nodes become painful or if you notice redness developing in the skin above them I would recommend that you have them evaluated by your doctor. Otherwise, time will likely result in their resolution.

Hope this helps.
 Undiscovered - Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Well, I went to the doctor the day after I posted this. I have some combination of something to do with my sinuses (I can hardly ever breathe well out of my nose) and bronchitis. He gave me Citrofloxacin, Methylprednisolone, and a cough syrup. I *think* the swollen lymph nodes are a little smaller today, which puts me at ease a little.

Thanks for the input!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here