Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lymph node biopsy question

panaggie - Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:17 pm

I am a 46 year old male suffering with chronic RUQ pain and some fleeting discomfort in LUQ. I have been diagnosed with three lesions of the liver, one on the right kidney, one in the C7 vertebra, three in the skull, and an angioma of the right temporal lobe. The lesions of the bone are hemangioma as well as two of the lesions in the liver. The remaining lesion in the liver and the one on the kidney have no dx as of yet. I will mri with contrast the 2nd of March to make that picture clearer. My symptoms include drenching night sweats once or twice a week, constant headaches, some low grade fever, sore tongue and gums and the above mentioned abdominal pain. The abdominal pain has been with me for about 3 months. The night sweats for about 6 weeks and the headaches for about a year.
Both my hands will go to sleep as well as my right shoulder.
I have had a craniectomy to remove a large skull hemangioma and had a lymph node in my neck resected and biopsied.
The lymph node came back clear. My younger sister is in remission of Hodgkin's Lymphoma. She is 42. My question is, will removing a lymphnode at random show lymphoma if it is present? My bloodwork showed slightly elevated liver enzymes.
WBC was 9.3. I will be seeing an infectious disease Doctor in early March. I don't drink, use drugs and am monogamous. I just feel like we ought to look a little closer at the possibility of lymphoma of some sort. I had never been sick a day in my life before all this mess. Thanks for all your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 pm

User avatar Biopsying a random lymph node may or may not be helpful in the diagnosis of lymphoma. Generally, if there is a swollen lymph node, biopsy of this node will be more helpful.

I suspect that your doctors had a reason to biopsy the node that they did. A negative biopsy is reassuring and makes lymphoma less likely. There is a small possibility that the node simply did not have any cancerous cells in it, so follow up is important.

Your symptoms also fit for several infectious diseases. Your visit with the ID specialist will be helpful.

|