News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Neck Lump + Hives??

MJKD - Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:07 am

I am a 33 year old female. I have not had any recent infections, or surgeries. I'm not sure if these things have anything to do with one another at all but I thought I'd ask... Two weeks ago, I started to break out in rather large hives (they are decreasing in frequency, but I am still breaking out), when this started happening, I noticed a small lump on the back of my neck right under the base of my skull - on the right side. I thought it was just another one of my hives, but it has not gone away, and it does not itch...the only pain I've had in that area is a burning sensation in the back of my neck (once, during the night - and a headache one day with the same sensation both times after a rather restless night of sleep, so I may have simply slept wrong) Is this anything I should be concerned about?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:13 am

User avatar Hives are often thought of as an allergic reaction; however, there are many causes of hives including multiple viruses and other infections that can cause them.

The bump on your skull is likely a lymph node. This may go along with a viral infection causing the hives.

I would recommend that you see your doctor to be evaluated. Generally, hives are quite responsive to treatment and your doctor can recommend the best treatment for you.

Hope this helps.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here