News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: lumps on head and neck

ConnieR - Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:18 pm

A few days ago I noticed a lump on my neck. It didn't hurt, but was quite noticable. The next day I got a lump on the back of my head. I went to my family doctor and he said it was probably some kind of infection and put me on Keflex. Since then, my neck has become very tender. I now have about 4 bumps on my head. They do not hurt. In fact, they itch, terribly. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I am 57 and female. I also have systempic lupus
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:22 am

User avatar Hello,

I think you should trust your doctor's decision. Lymph nodes of the neck frequently enlarge as they fight infection. An enlarged occipital lymph nodes at the back of the neck usually signifies an infection in the scalp or surrounding area.

In most cases where examination does not reveal to the doctor anything worrying, he/she may prescribe an antibiotic and observe for a couple of weeks before reassessing the situation. If the pain and tenderness increase or are intolerable you should inform your doctor.

Best regards,
 ConnieR - Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. Each day I have more hard bumps on my head, but I won't panic yet.

Is it possible that my Lupus is the source of infection?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here