Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump behind ear

thekid528 - Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:54 pm

Ive been stressing out over the past few weeks i am 26 years old and a male, my grandfather died of lung cancer (coal miner) and my grandmother died of cancer. My moms side are still alive at 96- and 95.

My worry is a lump alittle smaller than a marlble on my hairline about 1 inch behind my right ear. Its a hard bump and is not painful i know for a fact that i have had it for over 2 years it has not grown.

In 1999 i was sick my entire senior year of highschool, cause was chronic sinus infections, and severe tonsilitis, my lymph nodes in my neck swelled up and after i got my tonsils out my ENT monitored them for about 3-4 months. He they ran me through all the tests and did a biopsy on one in my neck. Everything was fine. My GP has done a Complete blood count every year since then and everything has been fine.

I am stressing out.. i am almost certain that i had this lump back then but i am not sure. Is it possible to have a hard lymph node of this size and have nothing serious wrong with me. All the websites ive checked point to this being secondary cancer or lymphoma and i am now freaking out
 panaggie - Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:21 am

If not only for your peace of mind, you should have any suspicious lumps examined. If you don't get the answers you are comfortable with, get a second opinion. I recently had a lump looked at by my former pcp and she said flat out " I don't have any bells or whistles going off ". Without getting into details, I got a second opinion from my wife's pcp and had brain surgery two weeks later to remove a tumor. Your body was designed to let you know when something is not right. Don't get me wrong, I think all Doctors have your best interest at heart but sometimes you might present them with something they have not had much experience with.
 thekid528 - Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks Panaggie, i have an appt comming up March 16th. I am just stressing right now trying to get some opinions. I am almost certain this bump has been there awhile however it has never grown but it is hard. I have other lymph nodes in my neck and those move around under my skin. I honestly think its been years since i have had any type of head cold or upper respiratory problems.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:12 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities for your lump. It may be a lymph node, though as you say, lymph nodes typically are mobile and rubbery feeling.

Other possibilities include past trauma to the area with a resulting small bleed (bruising) to the area that subsequently calcified, or a small chip in the bone that calcified over (less likely). It may also be a lipoma (a small, harmless fat cell tumor) although the location would be quite unusual.

Hard lymph nodes do sometimes result from cancers such as lymphoma or metastatic disease, but the area you are describing would be a little unusual for this.

Most likely this will be nothing dangerous but it is a good idea to have it checked out.

Best wishes. Hope this helps.
 thekid528 - Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:54 pm

Thanks Doc, i appreciate the quick reply i will keep everyone posted as to what this turns out to be. Im eager to find out and stop worrying about it. I also forgot to mention my dad told me bumps on the head run in our family i don't know if those bumps could be lipomas like you mentioned or cysts ?
 thekid528 - Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Well just alittle update i went to the ENT and shared my concerns. He felt my neck and the bump on the back of my head and told me to stop worrying ,that he felt the same lump years ago when i had the original biopsy. He informed me that it is a scarred lymph node and if it was anything to be concerned about it would have grown over the years. Do you think i should finally stop worrying about this one hard bump. I have had blood work done for years with no abnormalities and 2 docs tell me if its not growing not to worry ?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:00 pm

User avatar I would agree with your ENT doctor. If the lump hasn't changed over the course of the year and your blood work has remained normal you likely have nothing to worry about.

Best wishes. Thanks for the update.

|