News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: very worried and confused, help!

Alzzz - Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Hello, I'm a 20yr old female, and ever since I had mumps 2 years ago (which affected the left side submandibular and parotid gland only) and although both got better within the time the doc said they would, the submandibular gland (i think) has stayed slightly bigger. It swells more when I eat, or when I wake up in the morning, and settles back down to it's just-bigger-than-usual size within 15 mins or so. It's never painful. I went to see the doctor and she said to see my dentist first, and if they couldnt find a cause to go back for a biopsy (which scares me to death). Anyway, I went to see my dentist last week, and she sadi she didnt think it was anything to worry about, but has referred me to an ENT (no idea when though- could be as long as after the summer) I do have a hard lump on one side of the floor of my mouth right at the very front, but she said it was a tendon or something (?!) and another kind of lump thing in the very top corner of my cheek on the left, which can be felt but not seen, which she said was just coz my wisdom tooth has grown at a diferent angle (?!) I also have a slightly blocked sinus on the left side at night... I just don't know what all this means, and I'm really really worried... does anyone know anything? please help! : (
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:32 am

User avatar I have a few thoughts for you. The parotid gland empties into the mouth via a duct on the inside of the cheek just above the middle of the cheek and about half way back. This may be the bump you are feeling. If so, this is normal.

The bump on the bottom of your mouth may be the opening of the submadibular gland duct. If you are experiencing swelling of the gland with eating it is quite possible that you have a stone or other blockage in the duct. You can try to encourage passage of the stone by eating things that cause the glands to release their contents (known as sialogogues)-such as lemons or other things that make your mouth water.

From your description I suspect that this is what is going on but I cannot be sure with examining you. Seeing the ENT is a good idea to help confirm the idea. You can try the sialogogues in the mean time. If you begin to have fevers and tenderness in the area of one of your glands you should see a doctor as it is possible to get an infection in the gland.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here