Forum Name: Esophageal Cancer

Question: Question about Endoscopy

babyblueeyes156 - Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:55 pm

I had an endoscopy done and had been constipated for 5 days (no bowel movements whatsover), and drank some sprite before the test though I wasn't supposed to, but hadn't eat anything since the night before. Would this in anyway affect the test results as in not seeing everything clearly? I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagitis & mild gastritis, which doesn't explain the epigastric pain I'm having (doctor said all she saw was some irritation, which has been a chronic problem anyways, it never hurt me like this before). Can't eat without getting sick, can't even drink a glass of milk as it caused bloating, pain, & regurgitation. Really need to know if this test would of been accurate. Please let me know. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:14 pm

User avatar Drinking the sprite would be unlikely to cause problems with the endoscopy. Generally, with upper endoscopies the main reason to not eat or drink is so that anesthesia is safer. The stomach empties liquids fairly quickly so chances are it had completely passed through the stomach before the endoscopy any way.

I suspect that your GI doctor took some biopsies during the endoscopy as well. This will be helpful to look for inflammation or other processes that may be going on. If the direct visual exam didn't show much it is still possible that the biopsies will.

Your symptoms sound like a food intolerance, such as lactose intolerance. Gastritis is possible also. Sounds like your on the right track to finding the cause if you are already seeing a GI specialist.

Best wishes. Hope this helps.
 babyblueeyes156 - Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:04 am

Yes I had biopsies and it showed Barrett's Esophagitis and mild Gastritis. I am glad to know the test would still be accurate considering, that is very helpful. I've had reflux and chronic inflammation ongoing for 5 years but it never hurt me like this.
As far as the milk goes, I rarely ever drink it. With the food intolerance, would that make me sick from everything I eat? The only thing I can manage to not hurt me worse is crackers. I do have some type of allergy because I was put on Allegra-D for my sinuses as they wouldn't clear up & I tried everything else, but this is the only medication that really helped. But it doesn't help the epigastric pain. I'm having nausea, regurgitation w) puking, pressure/pain/burning in my esophagus & chest, food starting to get stuck, epigastric pain (intensifies with food), and recently burning in my belly where the epigastric pain is. The esophagus problems didn't start until Tuesday (sometime after the endoscopy). My gastroenterologist said she thought this was from irritable bowel but the constipation has been very well controlled for quite sometime with medication I take for it. So I can't help but to find that absolutely ridiculous. Could my stomach be so irritated that it would cause these problems? That's what it feels like but it doesn't add up cause she said all she saw was some irritation and didn't seem to think this was causing my problems, I don't know how bad the Barrett's was, but the gastritis was just mild. So I figure the inflammation in my esophagus was probley no worse. I don't know why she didn't want to prescribe me any more meds other than the aciphex but I am at the point that I will not eat again considering how much pain it causes. Would it hurt to just eat crackers? Mylanta anacid helps the pain but not enough that I'd be willing to continue to eat.
 babyblueeyes156 - Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:44 am

I have one more question. I really hope you don't mind. Just curious about drug allergies. Could that be a possible problem and not to die from it? When this epigastric pain started, I overdosed 4 mths ago on a bottle of Promethazine. Then 2 mths ago, got to where I couldn't eat without getting sick. The reason I wonder about this is because I went to the ER last night and they gave me 3 shots of medication, which dried my nasal passages up really bad and gave me a dry cotton taste in my mouth. Last night when I woke up with epigastric pain & burning, I took the Mylanta and it calmed the pain down but not long after started having spasms which made it all worse. I have a tendancy to get nauseas from my meds but never thought it may be a problem. I figured I just take too many and it doesn't settle well with my tummy. My nasal passages are still really dry and the Allegra typically stops all of my sinus problems as long as I take it on schedule. It's because of a pain narcotic that I developed reflux (fentanyl).
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

User avatar There are a few things about your biopsy/endoscopy that make me think your pain is in fact reflux related. While you may have only mild gastritis, the presence of Barrett's esophagus indicates a relatively larger degree of reflux is occuring. Barrett's esophagus is essentially a change in the esophageal mucosa into mucosa more like the stomach in response to being "washed" in stomach acid repeatedly.

Your symptoms being exacerbated by eating as well as the mylanta helping some also support more severe reflux.

Generally, an acid blocker known as a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) is the appropriate treatment for acid reflux. (Aciphex is a PPI.) Occasionally, the PPI is simply not sufficient enough. In those cases, one may wish to try a different PPI with the possibility that it may work better (probably not, but it may be worth a try). Also, there is a surgical procedure known as a fundoplication in which the stomach is wrapped around the esophagus to help prevent reflux. Patients may get a significant amount of relief with this procedure; however, it is a surgery and does have some important side effects that must be considered. So, generally surgery is a last option when medications fail.

You may want to talk with your GI doctor about having a 24 hour pH probe done. This is the "gold standard" for measuring reflux and can help determine how severe reflux is and if surgery may be needed. Most surgeons will want a pH probe before doing a fundoplication.

After reconsidering your symptoms I think food allergies are less likely as are things like lactose intolerance. In reference to your medicine question, some medicines can exacerbate reflux as well as gastritis. This would be good to discuss with your doctor as well.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
 babyblueeyes156 - Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:53 pm

I'll ask about the 24 hour pH so if the acid is severe, at least I'd know why I feel this way. I don't see surgery happening not that I would care but I think if they took this seriously, they'd admit me in the hospital instead of leaving me like this. I'd really rather not sit here and die from starvation. I can't even hardly tolerate liquid now. Everything hurts my belly. But thank you very much for the help. It's causing me alot of anxiety & is really relieving to be able to talk to someone about it that responded with a logical answer. Thanks so much.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:38 am

User avatar Glad to be of help. With issues like this persistence is key. Keep following up with your doctor until you get the answers you need. Sometimes we are able to better recognize a cause when we have the benefit of seeing the illness develop/progress.

I hope you feel better soon.
 babyblueeyes156 - Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:09 pm

I started burning in my epigastric area and decided to quit taking Aciphex since it wasn't helping and started using Zantac 75. This extremely reduces my pain. It still hurts to eat but I can tolerate certain small snacks. The regurgitation is coming from the epigastric area (starts in if it's pressed on / or if I lay on it). Too much acid there, right? You was right about reflux being the problem. I'm going to keep my calorie intake low for awhile since it makes the reflux so bad and maybe this will get better in time. It is amazing to just be feeling this much better. I still hurts but I can tolerate it now. Thank you again for the help. It made the difference.
 babyblueeyes156 - Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:28 pm

My bowels have turned very dark over the past 3 days. My abdominal pain is coming back (in epigastric area). Zantac is still helping but not quite as well as the begin with. The only thing I know I took that may have caused a problem is Medrol (after 2 days, I stopped using it). I can't help but think my esophagus may be bleeding now. If it is, is it something that will go away on it's own?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:45 am

User avatar Dark stools are certainly concerning for bleeding in the upper part of the intestines (esophagus, stomach or upper intestine). Medrol can cause the stomach lining to be more susceptible to the acid in the stomach, potentially causing a bleed.

I would recommend that you see your doctor. If this is bleeding it may be mild and will heal on its own; however, GI bleeds can be quite severe and can be persistent. You may benefit from a medication called sucralfate which is supposed to bind to irritated areas in the stomach and help them heal.

|