News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged Lmphnodes

Out_in-Jersey - Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Im a 20 year old Male, no past medical problems, had scarlet fever and chicken pocks as a child only, i take alegra for allergies only; about a month ago i developed a larger then normal lymph node on my kneck, left side, about half way up from the shoulder bone. It was not tender, or painfiul, and was movable, not fixed or hard. My family doctor told me not to worry, but i felt something was wrong, about a week ago i developed another swollen lymphnode under my right arm, at the time i found it, it was painful and my entire shoulder actually hurt, not sure if the shoulder pain was related or not. It was about the size of the top of an egg.(obviously larger then normal) I went for a second opinion at another drs. he told me he didnt no, but wanted to run an extensive blood test and do a chest xray. I completed those items and in four days have a follow up with the doctor. Im very concerned that it may be a form of lymphoma, mainly NHL,(non hodgkins Lymphoma)- and as i understand it chest xrays are where the cancers usually show up. At twenty i don't think i should be having these types of issues. Any information or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:26 am

User avatar There are a few factors to consider for your case. Cancer in a relatively young, healthy individual is not that common but should be considered when the symptoms fit.

It is very possible that your lymph nodes are swollen in response to an exposure to a viral infection that may not have made you sick (I.e the immune system did its job). This is very likely for the lymph node in your neck.

When lymph nodes become painful, it is possible that they have become infected with a bacteria and may require antibiotics.

The classic description of a lymph node that is swollen from cancer is a hard, immobile, nontender node.

Given all this, it is most likely that you do not have cancer; however, when one has multiple lymph nodes in multiple places, the better part of wisdom is to make sure that it isn't cancer. Screening labs are very appropriate.

I recommend that you follow up with your doctor. If there is still concern, a biopsy of the node can be performed to look for sure.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here