Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Colonoscopy

bindy - Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Female, 16 yrs old, Chronic Abdominal pain.

I'm heading back to the gastroenterologist on the 15th of march and i'm assuming the next step for me after having a endoscopy over 5 months ago my next step will be a colonoscopy.

I'm currnenly not stressing about it because 'if it has to be done, it has to be done' but i do find the thought of having my bum and 'acompnaying areas' exposed. I am very self contious about 'this particular test' and would like any information as to how 'exposed' i will be. I'm not worried about my bum being exposed really just the 'other area'. I know i will have to wear a gown - so i have read on the internet. But i can't find any of this type of information on the internet. Like:

can i still wear underwear? etc and how exposed i'll be.

If i can get any information on 'this' part of the procedure i woudl be very grateful.

Thanks Bindy
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:10 pm

User avatar I promise you that the staff will be completely professional during the procedure. Most likely they will request you remove your underwear and put on a hospital gown.

For the procedure you will be lying on your side with your knees bent. Your buttocks will be exposed some but the front of you will be covered by your gown and legs. The amount of exposure is really quite small.

Also, they'll give you some sedating medicine to make you somewhat sleepy and comfortable during the procedure. I think you'll find it's a relatively simple process for you.

Best wishes. Keep us updated on the findings and how your abdominal pain is doing.

|