Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen tender lump under ear behind top of jawline

sweetmomuf2 - Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:36 am

Hi, please help me I have no insurance and the emergency room takes money out of your paycheck where i live. I just need to know if this is serious enough to go to the er. I Last night my jaw started hurting, a few minutes later I got really scared, it became tender and a lumplike thing came up about an inch below my ear. It is at the top of my jawline on the left side. I have done some reading on it today, and it says that is common in colds and sore throat. But my ears or throat is not hurting at all, though the swollen lump hurts. I feel like it is getting bigger, but it is just my imagination. It is kinda mushy and kinda tough. It starts to fell better, until I eat then it hurts really really bad. I thought it might be an abcess but I do not have a bad tooth or anything. I am really scared, but i do not want to go to the er unless i absolutely have to. will this go away? Is it any harm to me? Please help...... Thanx

AManda
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:21 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities for what you are describing. As you suggest, it may be a lymph node. The area that you’re describing does have lymph nodes present. Even though you are not currently experiencing cold symptoms it is possible that you are fighting off a cold. In this area is likely that a reactive lymph node will be irritated by the jaw moving.

Secondly, you may have a stone that is blocking your salivary gland. In this case, eating may be painful because the saliva was unable to pass through the duct.

One important consideration is the possibility of an infected lymph node. In this case, the skin above the lymph node often will become slightly red. The lymph node will remain tender and may get bigger.

If the node continues to worsen, I would recommend you have it evaluated. Often, if it is due to fighting off a cold, the node improves and becomes less painful in two or three days.

If it is a blocked salivary gland duct eating sour things that induce saliva will help "push" the stone out of the duct. If this does not work it needs to be removed by an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist.

|