Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lymphopathy of supraclavicular area

steveangelasmith1 - Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 am

Before I start this question might I add I have went through 3 rounds of antibiotics with no results. I am a 29 year old I have had a thyroid nodule on the left side for a year now being followed by a surgeon who has yet to biosy it, i have a hiatlal hernia with barretts espohogus (the barretts was diagnosed in january after numerous biopsies done during endoscopy of both my upper gi and lower gi with no cancer showing. I am on ortho evra patch, zegrid. I also have post traumatic stress disorder (for 15 years now). I have had my wisdome teeth removed at age of 19, at 18 my tonsils removed, and left knee surgery in 2000. I have had a left supraclavicular lymph node the size of a golf ball for 2 months now it is nontender, the only pain is like its sitting on a nerve and hurts up the left side of my head and down my arm. After seeing my dr she took bloodwork and my wbc was 3.2, my hemoglobin was 9 I had protien and bilirubin in my urine also the mono test was negitive. My ct scan showed the same findings with my lymph node.. it was rather large. I have night sweats, unexplained fevers (up to 102 everyday), extreme fatigue, itchy skin, and over all feel worse than I ever have in my life. She is sending me to a surgeon for a biopsy. I have a strong family history of cancers of all types. This is really scaring me... what are the possibilities
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:53 pm

User avatar There are a few possibilities. One of the more concerning possibilities is cancer. The supraclavicular lymph nodes are one of the chains of lymph nodes that often will present with a cancer-be it a lymphoma or a cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes.

Other possibilities include an infection of the lymph node with a fungal agent such as cocciodes immitis (valley fever bug) or a type of bacteria known as mycobacteria (tuberculosis or an atypical mycobacteria).

The biopsy will be important. This will help correlate your CBC findings of a low WBC and hemoglobin.

Keep us updated. Best wishes. If you have more questions or I haven't really answered your original questions please feel free to post more.
 steveangelasmith1 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Now I am even more confused and worried. The doctor was quite rude and only concerned about one thing...
For a year now I have had a nodule on my thyroid... I have normal thyroid levels (which have not been checked since March of last year). The nodule instead of more growing on my thyroid or shrinking has gotten much bigger in just 3 months. This is along with the large lymph node in the supraclavicular region. Along with this according to the ct I have a chain of enlarged lymph nodes all in the supraclavicular region making a line toward my back.
Instead of wanting a biopsy, he said hey this isn't my "thing" you need to see an oncologist and didn't even remark about the thyroid nodule.

I am now getting a second opinion from another surgeon that is good friends with my husband. And going to an oncologist from there.

My chest x-ray also showed a bunch of nodules in it... I have had testing done for TB so we know its not that. I also have no fungal infection growing.

Please HELP!! am I on the right path with the doctors? Any advice at all??!!

|