News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 3 Swollen Lymph Nodes on Neck

tsg295 - Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi! I am 19 yearold male and I have these swollen nodes on my neck since this past July. I have two on the right ond one on the left. I noticed them after I had my wisdom teeth removed and they have never gone down. They are not large at all and one is the size of a BB. They are all non tender, not hard (but not real soft) and can easily be moved around and seen under the skin. I have no symptoms of lymphoma or anything unusual at all. I have been constantly checking my groing, chest, and under arms for more but never have noticed anything at all. I have honestly never felt better. I have no family history of cancer of any type if it matters. I just finished a round of Omnicef my doc gave me and nothing has changed. I take claritan and vitamins everyday. Does anyone know what this sounds like or can give me advice.

Thanks,
Tanner
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:58 pm

User avatar It sounds as if you are describing normal lymph nodes. Occasionally, after an infection where the lymph nodes have swollen they don't completely shrink back down. They may remain around 5-10mm in diameter. These are termed shotty lymph nodes because of their resemblance to buckshot or BB's as you have described.

The lymph nodes are still functioning and doing their job as they should. Should you notice that they become painful or seem to be enlarging I would recommend that you have them checked out.

Best wishes.
 tsg295 - Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks Dr. Lowe for the response. That does make me feel better! I have another question for you if you don't mind answering it. Do lymph nodes that are cancerous continuosely grow and become large? Also when they are said to be attatched does mean they feel like they are glued to underlying tissue and totally immoble. I am just trying to learn about this disease and to know anything for future references.

Thanks,
Tanner
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:16 am

User avatar Cancerous nodes do tend to be fixed to underlying tissue which means that they do not easily move or may not move at all. Typically, normal lymph nodes can be moved relatively easily.

Cancerous nodes often will slowly become larger over time as the cancer continues to expand.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here