News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Lump on head and rash

ncstacey - Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:08 am

My husband (27) hasn't been feeling well for 2 weeks. He developed a rash on his chest, neck, back and shoulders. He recently found a lump on the back of his head a couple inches behind his right ear. It is painful to the touch and about 1 1/2 inches long. It feels like it may be fluid filled. He did not suffer any trauma to that area. He has been getting daily headaches that are moderate to severe and aren't helped by medication. I am calling the dr today but he doesn't have a primary care so it may take some time to get him in.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:52 am

User avatar Given all your husband's symptoms it is likely that your husband has an infection, likel due to a virus. Infections very commonly cause lymph nodes to swell. The location you are describing the lump in is one of the commonly affected lymph node chains.

Lymph nodes that are swollen to help fight infections commonly are tender and can feel fluid like although they typically are described as rubbery feeling.

While, by odds, this is the most likely explaination, there are some other possible causes.

It is possible that your husband does have a cystic structure that has subsequently caused an infection that may be the cause of the headaches, etc. These types of infections typically will require antibiotics to clear.

Since the symptoms have been going on for a few weeks I competely agree with him being seen by a doctor for a full examination.

Best wishes. I hope this helps some.
 ncstacey - Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 am

Thank you so much for your reply. My husband ended up getting into the dr. He has pityriasis rosea and the lumps were lymph nodes. They put him on Allegra and wanted him to take a steroid, but he is going to just use the Allegra for now. Again thank you for taking the time to reply.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here